Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2007, 05:21 PM

Default Re: how much money would you take in exchange for one year in prison?

[ QUOTE ]
$250,000 with immunity
$80,000 without immunity

[/ QUOTE ]
wowowowowowow
Old 01-17-2007, 05:21 PM

Now that I think about it, the risk of having my nose broken in a fight in prison (or having my face [censored] up in any other way) seems to be considerably higher than the risk of rape. Therefore, I think I´d either need a guarantee that saves me from serious injury as well as from buttsex, or a very high payoff like 6 million $ before I take the deal. Basically, I consider getting crippled in a fight (I´m bad at fighting) as undesireable as buttsex.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
one guy i work with says he wouldn't do a year for $20 million even with the guarantee. how about you guys?

[/ QUOTE ]

He probably hasn't done any risk analysis. His whole life isn't worth more than $5M.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is of course totally wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, so how much is a human life worth, in the very dry and cruel $$ that we're discussing here? It's a [censored] thing to have to think about, but insurance companies and courts have to do it all the time in cases of Wrongful Death.

[/ QUOTE ]

The worth of an individual's life can´t be expressed in terms of any amount of money, since being alive is the precondition for the money to be valuable at all.

The insurance companies you´re talking about are paying off the family of the victim, not the victim itself, making this a totally different case. Still, no matter how much they are paying, usually this family would prefer the victim still being alive, instead of having that money given to them. Of course, there are exceptions.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is that your workmate is totally off base with his $20M number. The victims of grave misfortune rarely get more than a quarter of that. Even that amount is probably inflated quite a bit over the actual financial value of the victim's time, since as you described the family would much rather have the person alive than any amount of money. In light of all that, saying that devoting one year of your time to anything where you're likely to emerge alive and see your family and friends again is worth four times as much is either arrogant or ignorant. I hope his response really meant that no amount of money could make him do it. That's a perfectly fine answer. A lot of people don't need $20M to feel financially secure any more than they need $10,000.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:47 PM

We talking Minimum, Maxmimum what?
Old 01-17-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I´d either need a guarantee that saves me from serious injury as well as from buttsex.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, all you get is the butt rape immunity - everything is else is regular old prison life, no special treatment. I meant to specify maximum security prison, and for the sake of argument let's say your record is clean when you get out.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:16 PM

they cook and clean for me right?

27 Sklansky bucks and a six-pack of light beer
Old 01-17-2007, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The odds of buttrape are very very low, and the fact that Im sure a lot of people on this board do things daily that could get them sent to prison for a year, makes me think id do it for about 100k.

[/ QUOTE ]

100k? Are you joking? You must have a really low paying job.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I actually make a ton of money, but do you do coke? do you drive drunk? do you cheat your taxes? There are tons of things that could send any one of us to jail that we do almost everyday, if you are willing to risk having a gram of coke on you when you go to a party/bar, you better be willing to go to jail for a year for pretty cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

A gram of coke or even drunk driving(no injuries) would never land me in prison for even a day(perhaps jail for a few, though). I don't understand your reasoning anyways, are you saying that since I have a miniscule chance of landing in prison, I should be willing to take 100k to go? Makes absolutely no sense.

I still don't understand anyone who says anything less than 1m. No sex for a year, no real human rights, no freedom. These are worth that little to you? Even those that make "a ton of money"? Ooooookay.

DN
Old 01-17-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still don't understand anyone who says anything less than 1m. No sex for a year, no real human rights, no freedom. These are worth that little to you? Even those that make "a ton of money"? Ooooookay.

DN

[/ QUOTE ]

a, I haven't had sex in over a year anyway...it's not that bad,
b, Being "free" doesn't mean much & isn't worth much unless you have money and/or don't need to work. 100k is considerably more than I could make in a year right now and would allow me to have quite a lot of money in 30 years through prudent investing.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:56 PM

One of my freinds got 8 months for dealing x, he said all they did was play poker and it wasn't that bad. Then again he had work release so he was only there for about 12 hours out of 24.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:06 PM

to answer this question you need to consider how much the loss of 1 year of your life would be + potentially the loss of relationships with a lot of your friends/girlfriend/family.

i feel like when people think of prison they only think of being raped/beat up and not the fact that they're essentially sacrificing years of their lives. it'd be like being hooked up to that machine in The Princess Bride that sucks out years of your life, except worse.