Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2007, 03:39 PM

Default Gettin\' my feet wet in NL

Usually a limit player but making strides toward no limit. Pokerstars $3/6 game.

I've had only one prior hand versus the villain but it was in the hand immediately before this one came up so I believe it may be relevant. I preflop raised 3x the BB he cold called. I then bet the pot on the flop and he called.I bet the pot on the turn and he folded when there was a flush draw on a T high board. He's got about $500 left when our next situation comes up.

I raise with queens to $15 he calls, another guy calls and the SB calls as well.

The flop is 284 with a club draw and I bet $60 (roughly the pot) he immediately raises to $180. What should I do now? Call the $120, stack off, fold?

So far in my experience in NL I try not to get it all in with an overpair unless it's a situation where it went raise/raise/raise preflop and then the flop came favorably to my hand. Are there any circumstances where I should be getting my money in here? Does the prior hand have a big influence on this spot in an online NL game?
Old 01-17-2007, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Gettin\' my feet wet in NL

It's so read-dependent that it's difficult to answer. But, I will say that I try not to play for stacks (unless I'm short-stacked) with one-pair hands, unless I have a very good read.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:55 PM

15 preflop? if you structure your game and do a lot of thinking about your preflop sizing then this is ok, but.. definately fold agaisnt a guy you don't have specifics on.. in a multiway pot.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's so read-dependent that it's difficult to answer. But, I will say that I try not to play for stacks (unless I'm short-stacked) with one-pair hands, unless I have a very good read.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats very good advice to any starting NL player. However i feel folding to be very weak here. I think he's raising with a wide range, and the only thing your behind to is a set. i think call flop/evaluate turn is best. By calling the flop raise your definatly telling him you have a hand, if he fires very strongly on the turn it hink you can safely fold. Otherwise all in on a blank.