Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2007, 02:58 PM

Default card dead

Ok I learned of a real soft tourney in my town. Attracts 40+ ppl twice a week. A few good players but I wouldn't say anyone is great. It is filled with the same people I used to consistantly final table at another local bar about a year ago. Only now my game has improved from my year experience and studying I have done. Went there for the 2nd time last night. First time I went I donked away my chips to the chip leader who went on a tear was almost eliminated like 10 hands before he broke me.(called with a pair and str8 draw but odds were not there) I was 2nd in chips and there wasn't anyone close.

So last night I go. Structure is like this. 3000 chips start 25/50 blinds half hour rounds. First round I end up with 10,000 chips. Great, pretty big stack here at this juncture. Then card dead next hour and a half is fold fold fold fold fold. I did bluff one hand just to gain some chips. It was a big pot. Back to fold fold fold fold. I mean nothing I could even dip into just to see. Then I get the 2 hands that kill me.

New guy to the table utg A3 outdraws me for half my stack, I had AK. Then next hand I get AQ and he has KJ and on comes 2 jacks. I was really frustrated with the card gods now because the card gods just didn't work with me yesterday. Last week I was mad at myself because if I don't make my one mistake I end in top 5 for sure. Yesterday though I just went card dead.

Would anyone else out there stop going or just take yesterday as sometimes you just don't get cards to make a run.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:03 PM

Default Re: card dead

Card dead shouldn't be that big of an issue. Were you playing effective positional poker? Even w/ junk you need to stay ahead of the blinds w/ steals in position. Other than that you got your $$$ in as a favorite and lost. It happens. If the competition is so weak I would make it my weekly game. What is the buy in?