Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2007, 01:08 PM

Default 2 General situations (newbie)

I'm just starting out so this may be idiotic questions. I find myself in these two situations and I'm not sure how to handle them. I think both are long term -ev and I'm spending too much time considering them, but who knows.

1. I'm in the the BB or complete with a marginal hand in the SB and flop top pair with a good kicker. I'm first to act w/ many people at the flop. For example, I have KTo in BB with 4 callers. Flop comes 59T rainbow. Whats the correct line given average micro limit opponents?

2. I have a strong hand and raise PF, one caller, flop misses me and I cbet. villain calls. Turn is no help. In general, after that I will fold if bet at or just check behind. What are the requirements for me to fire second barrel at these levels? Is it mostly read dependent? At first I thought it should be best to cbet then give up at these levels, but I experimented with turn bets and end up getting lots of opponents to fold.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:27 PM

Default Re: 2 General situations (newbie)

1)This depends on your opponents. If you have Mr. Late position bettor, then I will check raise him to let him know something. Otherwise I just play it straight forward and bet my TP.

2)I have really started coming around in NL 50 by just playing ABC. Thinking higher levels and making plays are a waste I have found at NL 50 without a VERY GOOD read. Just check/fold after the cbet.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:28 PM

Default Re: 2 General situations (newbie)

1. Bet out, 100% of the time. You need to: a) get value while you can, b) ascertain where you are against your opponents, c) deny a free card to any straight draws.

2. It is indeed mostly read-dependent. If your opponent is passive post-flop and will call when he makes a hand like top pair mid kicker, then you should probably check the turn. But if your opponent will call on draws more often than he should, fire another barrel on the turn. It helps a lot if you are in position. In general, I'll 2nd barrel everyone until they give me a reason not to (i.e. turn out like my first example). Jot a note down on them if they fold to a 2nd barrel often or call down regardless.