Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2007, 01:06 AM

Default A Death Penalty Question...Sort of

Suppose a portal was created as a possible sentence for criminals. There are only two things known about this portal: That anyone who goes into it will never return, and they will never again cause harm to another human being*. We don't even know if it's a pleasant experience, if it's fatal, if it's torturous or if it's even the same thing every time we use it.

What is your position on use of the portal? How does that relate to your position on capital punishment? What if you knew the outcome was always pleasant, but you're the only person who knows this (thus removing the revenge factor, but keeping any possible deterrent factor)? Any possibility of this being used in conjunction with dp or is it a total substitute? What about as a plea bargain?

*"How could we know both of those things and only those things?" We couldn't. That's not important.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:09 AM

Default Re: A Death Penalty Question...Sort of

i dont see the difference between this portal and lethal injection (or any other type of quick painless death)
i dont believe in the death penalty thus i dont believe in using this portal
Old 01-13-2007, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Suppose a portal was created as a possible sentence for criminals. There are only two things known about this portal: That anyone who goes into it will never return, and they will never again cause harm to another human being*. We don't even know if it's a pleasant experience, if it's fatal, if it's torturous or if it's even the same thing every time we use it.

What is your position on use of the portal? How does that relate to your position on capital punishment? What if you knew the outcome was always pleasant, but you're the only person who knows this (thus removing the revenge factor, but keeping any possible deterrent factor)? Any possibility of this being used in conjunction with dp or is it a total substitute? What about as a plea bargain?

*"How could we know both of those things and only those things?" We couldn't. That's not important.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is the individual's right to create his (or her) own path.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont see the difference between this portal and lethal injection (or any other type of quick painless death)

[/ QUOTE ]

A variation, included in the OP:

[ QUOTE ]
What if you knew the outcome was always pleasant, but you're the only person who knows this (thus removing the revenge factor, but keeping any possible deterrent factor)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be interested to hear from people on both sides of the DP debate on this.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:19 AM

The portal should be studied intensely. A stable black hole with an enclosed gravitational field would be insanely useful for modern technology and physics. Or if it is something else, that could also be useful. Even if no information can come back through we can still glean possibilities from its properties.

This has no relation to my views on the death penalty.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:51 AM

Don't really see the difference between this and going to jail for life (in places where life truly is life). I believe for the majority of populations jail is a place where few understand what really goes on inside.

I don't see the difference between this and killing somebody. No one knows what happens when we die.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:26 AM

Its either a form of the death penalty or highly irresponsible as if they survive we are inflicting them on a habitat capable of supporting human type life.

Plus they may not return but it wont be many generations before a portal eleven are beating us at cricket.

chez