Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2007, 01:26 PM

Default Re: If ever there was a doubt about Jamie Gold...

My local NBC also had the first few minutes cut, can someone please recap what big pot took place??
Old 01-16-2007, 01:28 PM

I think the problem with this week, from an entertainment perspective, is that with the exception of Gold, all of these guys are quiet at the table.

Plus, aside from Gold/Chan, I don't think (correct me if I'm wrong) that any of them are that chummy away from the table. That's not to say that they don't like each other, but they don't really have much reason to talk at the table.

This contrasts with last week, where pretty much all of them were friendly/knew each other well away from the poker table. Even though Buss and Kaplan aren't pro players, they knew the rest of the guys well and seemed to have good relationships with them.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My local NBC also had the first few minutes cut, can someone please recap what big pot took place??

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you're on dialup, give NBCSports a try.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:46 PM

How tall is Johnny Chan? He looks about 5'3" in this picture.
http://www.nbcsports.com/poker/832077/detail.html
Old 01-16-2007, 06:45 PM

From a poker standpoint much more entertaining than the last few weeks. People actually raising preflop, raising postflop and showing hands down. The level on nittiness has drastically declined.
The table talk might not be as great but I think the play made up for it whereas it was the opposite the first 2 tables IMO.
It does seem there were better starting hands dealt, and more action flops this week but even taking that into account it feels like the players are actually trying to accumlate chips and win instead of just sitting around folding until the blinds go up.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:49 PM

Due to the Golden Globes running about 10 minutes overtime, many NBC affiliates joined P.A.D in progress (if they show it after an infomercial) and thus missed the first hand. My Buffalo affiliate joined it in progress but luckily my Seattle station showed the entire thing since they had Evening Magazine on before P.A.D.

The first hand involved Chris Jesus Ferguson and Carlos Mortensen. Blinds are $100/200. Ferguson had the button and had the Ace of Spades and Jack of Hearts. Jesus bets $600. Carlos has pocket Queens(diamonds and clubs) and raises it to $2200, making it $1600 for Jesus to call, and he does so.

Carlos then bets $2600 in the dark (before flop is dealt) and the flop is: 4 of Spades, 6 of Hearts and Ace of Hearts. Jesus is now a 92% favorite and takes 37 seconds to raise it to $6,000.

Carlos then takes 20 seconds to reraise it to $10,000. Jesus then takes about 34 seconds to reraise to $17,800.

The pot is now $32,300. While Carlos is thinking. Jaime Gold walks over to Shana and has a lame 35 second interview where he seems amazed that all this happening on the first hand and says that because everyone is so agressive, this game should be over fast. This was another useless interview, which makes Shana seem silly and out of place. I say they should let her play in the game instead!

Shortly after the interview, Carlos mentions that there's no penalty for too much time and then soon after, folds his hand, for a total of two minutes and 18 seconds of thinking time (although, maybe some of his thinking time was edited out?).

While Johnny Chan is thinking out loud about that hand, Jesus asks Carlos, "What I have?" Immediately Carlos answers, "Ace-Jack". Jesus replies,"that's why you're so good." Carlos asks, "you had Ace-Jack?" and Jesus says, "yes,that's exactly what I had" and then a bit later Jesus says something like, "that's why you're a world champion." Carlos proudly says "not Ace-King,but Ace-Jack".

So that's it in a nutshell. Come back next week to see my recap of World War 2 in less than 100 words.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Come back next week to see my recap of World War 2 in less than 100 words.

[/ QUOTE ]

We won!
Old 01-17-2007, 03:52 AM

I still can't figure out how Jesus can put in 2200 PF with AJo on the first hand. Is he just praying to hit an A and hope that he's not dominated or hit a J and hope that's good enough? There is no way Carlos was going to give up the betting lead after the flop. PF it was 1600 for Jesus to call with a 2900 pot. I just don't get it at all.

If he gives some insight to it on the 'director's cut', then that may finally prove to be worth something instead of just listening to the players basically call the action on various hands.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:11 AM

I think Carlos actually played that hand as well as he could have, seeing as it could've just as easily been an All In situation where he lost.

His blind bet before the flop basically set up a situation where Ferguson was in a perfect opportunity to bluff. Had an ace not hit there, he would've taken down a pretty nice pot. When the ace hit and Ferguson raised Carlos dark bet, Carlos definitely has to "ask the question" to find out if his queens were good since he left the door wide open for a bluff. Unfortunately for him, got his answer when Ferguson pushed in to his (Carlos) $10K reraise and crippled him.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:24 AM

I can't wait for the barrage of betting-4k-into-a-2k-pot-with-top-set and blueberry-eating-time-wasting posts. And there's still 40 minutes left of the show.