Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2007, 11:43 PM

Default Re: Jamie Gold - Putting Things in Perspective

Why do people dislike JG? Because he's a douche. What more reason do you need?
Old 01-16-2007, 12:04 AM

I watched every minute of the final table of the ME on the PPV and I thought Gold played quite well. Where he got insanely lucky is that, when he was reeling a little after Cunningham called him down with the ace high, he managed to pick up an extra $5 million from the San Antonio guy with QQ vs. JJ. If that hand doesn't occur I think Cunningham may have won the tournament. I think he knew it too, because his demenour changed a little after that hand.

After that, it was just standard tournament stuff, IMO. I mean, I certainly wasn't pulling for Gold, but I thought he deserved the win. The 'top top' situation was a little interesting, but I didn't see anything too overboard on that hand, regardless of what other posters have said. Gold actually came across as feeling a little bad for the guy who was making a desperate move that wasn't going to work. That's how I read it, anyways.

That being said, Jamie may still be a douche, but I think a lot of the time he's getting a bum rap.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:43 AM

Its been awhile since I've watched it, but some of the [censored] he said was just completely WRONG with regards to basic poker theory. He made two (and maybe more) statements where he justified a call on pot odds after he saw the hands. But he wasn't getting anywhere close to the right odds on a reasonable range of hands for that player.

I'm sure he played well. I'm sure he's better than me (not hard at all) but there's no way he's even close to the upper echelon of poker players. Look at Moneymaker. Its a similar situation except I don't think Moneymaker would claim that he's in the same league as Brunson, Ivey, Reese, Greenstein, ... I think Gold does.

On top of that he bugs the hell out of me. I feel that he has no class and he comes off as obnoxious. These may not be valid complaints, but thats still the way I feel.

Edit: Oh and I forgot to add that I think he plays really well against amateurs, I don't think he plays well against pros (we may learn more about that after this season of HSP). But since the WSOP is mostly amateurs these days, thats a strength for that tournament.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I watched every minute of the final table of the ME on the PPV and I thought Gold played quite well. Where he got insanely lucky is that, when he was reeling a little after Cunningham called him down with the ace high, he managed to pick up an extra $5 million from the San Antonio guy with QQ vs. JJ. If that hand doesn't occur I think Cunningham may have won the tournament. I think he knew it too, because his demenour changed a little after that hand.

After that, it was just standard tournament stuff, IMO. I mean, I certainly wasn't pulling for Gold, but I thought he deserved the win. The 'top top' situation was a little interesting, but I didn't see anything too overboard on that hand, regardless of what other posters have said. Gold actually came across as feeling a little bad for the guy who was making a desperate move that wasn't going to work. That's how I read it, anyways.

That being said, Jamie may still be a douche, but I think a lot of the time he's getting a bum rap.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly it, in a nutshell. Nice post, nice ass. Although the hand that really could have swung things in my opinion was the potential three way all in hand that never materialized. It was where binger hit top pair, with 10's , Jamie was going in on a straight draw and Wasicka had the straight/flush draw. If Wasicka called, which, I think he should have (Kido says it the best: "If you want to win the tournament you have to gamble" Considering the spot and to more than double up, and take out third, and have a TON of outs, gambling in this spot is the right thing to do, as opposed to the usual coinflip pair to overcards race. Yeah yeah, "oh but if he loses he's in third", well how about, if he sits on his butt, and shortstack manages to win, guess what...YOU are on the verge of shortstackedness. This was THE spot to gamble in, regardless of having hindsight knowledge of the fact that he would have caught. Ok, had to get it out.)then, the balance of the game would have shifted there. Oh well, woulda coulda shoulda. Douche or not, the money is going to go take care of his father and to some research ,at least he claims that is where it is going, and if that is the truth, then at least the money is going to a good cause, which balances out the douchenosity of Jamie.

THE HUN.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:43 PM

I must admit, there has not been a lot of talk about Jamie Gold from Rizen or Doug Kim if I remember correctly, and they both played with Jamie late in the main event.

HOWEVER. There are two things that bother me:

1) When he discusses the strength of his hand WHILE OTHER PEOPLE ARE YET TO ACT AFTER HIM. To be honest, when he does crap like the guy check-raises AI with QdJ on the all diamond flop, and Jamie's like "aww man, I got top-top." While he's a tool for calling something [censored] top-top, I don't think that's out of line. The action of the hand has been completed except for his final decision - fold or call.
What bothers me, for example, is in the Rizen hand, when he limps on the button, the SB limps, and Jamie Gold raises, telling Rizen "if you shove I'm calling." I think that is terrible, because the SB has to act in between. What if the SB had limped with something like AJo or 88 because he didn't want to make a big pot preflop? So now Jamie's [censored] mouth has corroded his decision, and the hand is all out of whack.

2) He did an interview with Bluff Magazine, where he said that people were scared to play on his right, and he said in the interview that he would look at his cards right when they were dealt AND TELL THE GUY WHETHER IT WAS SAFE FOR HIM TO PLAY THE POT OR NOT!!! Are you kidding me?

Excerpt from Bluff Interview: So every day I’d come to the table and everyone would freak out, and there’d be this guy sitting next to me who was practically in tears because he knew could never raise a hand. So I said, “No, listen, think about it like this: No one can raise you, because they’re raising me after you. You’re in a great spot, and here’s the deal. In return for this protection, every time I tell you to lay down your hand, you lay down your hand. And they all said okay. So I would look at my cards before the guy to my right, and then I’d say, “OK, you’re cool; proceed…” or “Nope. Lay it down.”

As well as the link (so as to be free from accusation): Are you serious?

Things like this make it very very very very very difficult for him to ever gain my respect.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:57 PM

I used to play frequently (several times a week) with Jamie at Hollywood Park and Commerce $5/10 and $10/20 NL games. We were actually quite friendly and on first name terms whenever we would meet anywhere (Vegas, etc). Always seemed like a nice guy and I am happy for him to have done so well.

His play: he always played an extremely aggressive style and was generally a player I wouldn't want to have at my table due to his constant raising and re-raising. He was still working as a producer/agent at this time too. The last few times I played with him at Commerce (probably 18 months prior to the WSOP) he went broke 2 hands in a row losing set over set on the river [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-16-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do people dislike JG? Because he's a douche. What more reason do you need?

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.

It's not jealousy. I have no problem with Hachem, Raymer, Moneymaker, or even Varkonyi.

Moneymaker was a luckbox. Varkonyi was a dork and a luckbox, but neither of them was nearly the douchebag that Jamie Gold was/is. Every word out of his mouth was douchey, and that smug look he'd have on his face as he would rest his head in his palm make my head splode.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:46 PM

Google Test.

"Jamie Gold" + "Douche" / ("Douchebag") = 1912.

"Chris Moneymaker" + "Douche" / ("Douchebag") = 676

"Joe Hachem" + "Douche" / ("Douchebag") = 460

"Greg Raymer + "Douche" / ("Douchebag") = 1050
(Note- Almost none of them are talking about Raymer being a douche or douchebag. Matter of fact, 322 of the articles that reference "Greg Raymer" and either "Douche" or "Douchebag" also contain the phrase "Jamie Gold" in them.)
Old 01-17-2007, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Google Test.

"Jamie Gold" + "Douche" / ("Douchebag") = 1912.

"Chris Moneymaker" + "Douche" / ("Douchebag") = 676

"Joe Hachem" + "Douche" / ("Douchebag") = 460

"Greg Raymer + "Douche" / ("Douchebag") = 1050
(Note- Almost none of them are talking about Raymer being a douche or douchebag. Matter of fact, 322 of the articles that reference "Greg Raymer" and either "Douche" or "Douchebag" also contain the phrase "Jamie Gold" in them.)

[/ QUOTE ]

ha ha, thats [censored]-ing awesome.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:37 AM

yea he's decent, nothing special, we'll see if he gets run over on high stakes poker or not, then we can reassess