Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2007, 03:58 AM

Default Re: An Open Letter to David Sklansky

Runner,

Monotheist religions were created long time ago to control people who didn't have the chance to be educated.

The Bible (old and new testaments) was put together the way it is today 500 years after the death of Jesus Christ by a pagan emperor who didn't even believe in god but needed to control people of Rome.
I don't mean to be simplist, but one of the strongest ideas with monotheist religions is that people tends to feel better with the idea that someone (GOD) will be taking care of you while you are in this world and after you die.
Probably, the most spiritually advanced cultures are the chinese and indus who lived in this world for many years. Both cultures believed for many years in pagan gods. After years of evolution they made a turn and they now believe that this is a life that needs to be lived at its max. So what once used to be a pagan religion, now is a way of living without gods, without saviors.

Runner, I think that we don't need saviors and I think we don't need gods. We only need to live this life fully trying to do the best to fullfil ourselves and to fullfill the lives of the ones we have around.

GL!
Old 01-15-2007, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
do i want to pay for gay marriage with my tax dollars while they dont give back to society (reproduction)? of course not

[/ QUOTE ]

ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

incredibly so. i couldn't even laugh at this because the sheer ignorance was breathtaking.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Bible (old and new testaments) was put together the way it is today 500 years after the death of Jesus Christ by a pagan emperor who didn't even believe in god but needed to control people of Rome.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are wrong about this.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:02 PM

Yes, you are right it was in the year 325 AC in the Council of Nicaea where Constantine called 1800 bishops (only 285 assisted) to debate what were they going to put into the bible and how the church was going to do to support Constantine's empire.

The conclusion of this was:

To only include divinely inspired writings from those who described Jesus Christ as a mortal person.

To dicide which books were scripture and which ones were going to be burned (Thanks to the notorious habit of early Christian leaders of destroying books/scrolls, we may never know what doctrine existed before the Council of Nicea).

To determine the doctrine of the Trinity.

There you go Txag! It's a shame that monotheist religions were created to control people and they ended up dividing the world.

GL!
Old 01-17-2007, 12:28 AM

Wrong again.

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/augustine...andt/nicea.htm
Old 01-31-2007, 07:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I believe Christians are very much like racists. Infact, I believe Christians are a far worse blight on society than are racists. I believe anyone who honestly looks at the facts will come to the conclusion that Christians cause most of the world's problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct. The problems with North Korean and Iran, for instance. Those damn Christians in charge cause so many problems. Utah, don't let your own hate and bigotry cloud your judgement like this. You are worse than the people you condemn when you make ridiculous statements like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMFG is this guy seriously THAT RETARDED???
Old 01-31-2007, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I believe Christians are very much like racists. Infact, I believe Christians are a far worse blight on society than are racists. I believe anyone who honestly looks at the facts will come to the conclusion that Christians cause most of the world's problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct. The problems with North Korean and Iran, for instance. Those damn Christians in charge cause so many problems. Utah, don't let your own hate and bigotry cloud your judgement like this. You are worse than the people you condemn when you make ridiculous statements like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He just realized that if he could name two problems that aren't the fault of Christians then he would prove unequivacably that Christians aren't a blight on society or a cause of world problems. That's how logic works.

(I'm not saying that the post he's responding to isn't hyperbolic... but his response to it is ridiculous.)
Old 01-31-2007, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He just realized that if he could name two problems that aren't the fault of Christians then he would prove unequivacably that Christians aren't a blight on society or a cause of world problems. That's how logic works.

(I'm not saying that the post he's responding to isn't hyperbolic... but his response to it is ridiculous.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps this should be the subject of another post, but i'm constantly amazed by how arguments/counterarguments put forth by believers to justify their beliefs are usually devoid of any internal logic or reason. Assumedly, a belief system transcends the boundaries of reason, but even then, for the sake of communication with rational people, some level of logical structure should be present in their argument, in the hopes having a rational discourse, and for the sake of having their point taken a bit more seriously.