Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2007, 11:39 AM

Default Re: The Well: MarkGritter

Please tell us about your educational background.

Do you enjoy inventing/analyzing new poker variants?

I was in line for this game and saw this hand:

Triple Draw 2-7 Lowball Limit ($1/$2) (converter)

SB ($53.25), Seat 2
BB ($44.50), Seat 3
UTG ($42.25), Seat 4
Hero ($33.25), Seat 5
CO ($36.25), Seat 6
Button ($38.50), Seat 1

Button at Seat 1.
SB posts $0.50. BB posts $1.

Round 1: (1.50 SB)

<font color="#666666">UTG folds. </font><font color="red">Hero raises. </font><font color="red">CO raises. </font><font color="#666666">Button folds. </font><font color="#666666">SB folds. </font><font color="#666666">BB folds. </font><font color="green">Hero calls. </font>
Hero takes 2. CO takes 1.

Round 2: (7.50 SB)

<font color="green">Hero checks. </font><font color="red">CO bets. </font><font color="green">Hero calls. </font>
Hero takes 2. CO takes 1.

Round 3: (4.75 BB)

<font color="green">Hero checks. </font><font color="red">CO bets. </font><font color="green">Hero calls. </font>
Hero takes 1. CO stands pat.

Round 4: (6.75 BB)

<font color="green">Hero checks. </font><font color="green">CO checks. </font>

Total pot: (6.75 BB - $13.50)

Results: (in white)

<font color="white">Total pot $13.50 | Rake $0.50

Hero had [Ts 5c 6h 2d Qh] and lost with Lo: Q,T,6,5,2
CO had [3c 8h 6c 2s Td] and won ($13) with Lo: T,8,6,3,2
</font>
Third street is interesting. Do you draw to your new ten in this spot about as often as you draw to a new nine? Is this a major leak if I fold here (the ten) almost all of the time?

Also, just for fun:

Triple Draw 2-7 Lowball Limit ($1/$2) (converter)

SB ($46.75), Seat 3
Hero ($18.50), Seat 4
UTG ($53.25), Seat 5
CO ($30.50), Seat 6
Button ($3.75), Seat 2

Button at Seat 2.
SB posts $0.50. Hero posts $1. UTG posts $0.50.

Round 1: (2.00 SB)

<font color="green">UTG calls. </font><font color="#666666">CO folds. </font><font color="green">Button calls. </font><font color="#666666">SB folds. </font><font color="green">Hero checks. </font>
Hero stands pat. UTG takes 3. Button takes 3.

Round 2: (4.00 SB)

<font color="green">Hero checks. </font><font color="green">UTG checks. </font><font color="green">Button checks. </font>
Hero stands pat. UTG takes 3. Button takes 3.

Round 3: (2.00 BB)

<font color="red">Hero bets. </font><font color="green">UTG calls. </font><font color="#666666">Button folds. </font>
Hero stands pat. UTG takes 3.

Round 4: (4.00 BB)

<font color="green">Hero checks. </font><font color="green">UTG checks. </font>

Total pot: (4.00 BB - $8)

Results: (in white)

<font color="white">Total pot $8 | Rake $0.25

Hero had [6s Qs Kd Th Jc] and lost with Lo: K,Q,J,T,6
UTG had [5c Jd 8c 6c 4s] and won ($7.75) with Lo: J,8,6,5,4
</font>
Old 01-14-2007, 11:48 AM

Mark, you're a peach. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-14-2007, 12:26 PM

Why do you believe holdem to be the most profitable game?? Is that a reflection on how the game is being played at present, or would you say that it actually allows for greater mastery(by better players) by design??

What do you think would be the best way to play stud-hi(6-card, 2-card start, Mississippi, whatever)??
Incidentally i believe that PL Mississippi-stud8/b would be a great game - I note you don't like PL stud.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:45 PM

Mark - please expand on what Negreanu has to say about snowing in SS2 and what you think an optimal frequency is...
Old 01-14-2007, 01:41 PM

Default Last of Guruman\'s questions

[ QUOTE ]

Please give any thoughts on bankroll management and maximization of growth.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't been very aggressive at pushing my boundaries. It depends on your situation and goal. My goal is to be able to play better poker and higher games--- since I'm a recreational player who has never put any money in, I tend to be pretty conservative. So I keep at least a 500 BB bankroll. I have never moved up just because I could afford to do so, and I have moved down when I've lost more than I was comfortable with--- even if I had the BR remaining to play.

Tournaments have been a great way for me to increase BR and give me some flexibility for shot-taking. Unfortuantely I've reached a point where it doesn't feel "worth it" any more since I don't really feel good enough to play the weely $100 or $200 tournaments successfully and the $10 and $20's often don't pay enough to be anything but "fun". (Having multiple-$100 sessions on a regular basis skews one's perspective.)

Online poker, I think, gives somebody who wants to grow aggressively a lot of opportunity because he will always be able to tailor what games he plays to his current BR. But you really have to decide in advance what your triggers are to move down, or you can get psychologically 'stuck' at a level and lose more than you really want to.

[ QUOTE ]

any tips on tilt?

[/ QUOTE ]

Never try to bluff a lowball player on tilt.

I think Mason Malmuth (in a previous 2+2 magazine article) has some good points about tilt often arising from a mismatch between expectation and reality. ("I'm much better than these donkeys, why am I losing?") Nearly any poker game is going to have downswings. Sometimes you have to leave a game even though it's "good" because you are in a bad psychological state.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:49 PM

Mark,

Ever make it to Commerce or Vegas? Let me know if/when you do and we'll start a TDL game and I promise to draw five a few times [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-DeathDonkey
Old 01-14-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please tell us about your educational background.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to a small private Lutheran high school in Racine, WI. While there I fell in with a bad crowd and started role-playing games. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I was valedictorian of my class of less than 50 people, and a National Merit Scholar.

From 1993-1997 I attended Gustavus Adolphus College in St. Peter, MN. I graduated with majors in both Computer Science and Mathematics. I was also VP of the Gustavus Gaming Society for one year, but this was back when "gaming" didn't mean "gambling". I got the 2nd-highest score in Minnesota on the Putnam one year. I also participated in the ACM programming contest for three years, scoring well within our region and going to the international competition once. I graduated with honors, but would have done better if I'd managed to get up in time for all my 8am and 9am classes.

In 1997 I entered Stanford University to study computer science. I have my M.S. but my PhD is sort in limbo. I published one peer-reviewed paper.

[ QUOTE ]

Do you enjoy inventing/analyzing new poker variants?

[/ QUOTE ]

Somewhat. My analysis skills are suspect unless the problem is purely combinatorial. I'm not real big on inventing new variants although doing so as a joke always appeals to me.

A while back I proposed "discrete poker"--- play Hold'em but all hands of the same type have equal strength. I.e., two pair still beats one pair, but a pair of aces ties with a pair of queens. This is mainly in an attempt to find a variant in which 67 is a better starter than AK. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-14-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ever make it to Commerce or Vegas? Let me know if/when you do and we'll start a TDL game and I promise to draw five a few times [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately I've never been to Southern California. I go out to San Francisco about once a month for a week on business and get some live poker in. I need to convince my group to move to an office further south. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

The only time I've been in Las Vegas was to play in the $1000 Stud/8 WSOP even last year. 2461Badugi and I might come out to play triple draw this year. He is actually contemplating playing the ME as well.

Having a real job sucks; it severely interferes with my poker-playing plans. Having a wife is great, but also comes higher on the priority list than poker. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-14-2007, 02:17 PM

By the way, in case you don't know/remember, you were the hero in both of the above posted hands. I wasn't involved, but I was waiting for a seat. (Not because you were in the game!)
Old 01-14-2007, 02:42 PM

If you could win one and only one of these poker tournaments, which one would you want to win most and why? (Assume you are being staked for all events).

1. $25K NLHE WPT Championship
2. $10K NLHE WSOP Main Event
3. $50K WSOP HORSE
4. $5K/rebuys NL 2-7 Lowball
5. $1K/rebuys 2-7 Triple Draw
6. Another tournament of your choice.