Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2007, 08:35 AM

Default Marriage of Convenience? (update on the \"Proper Revenge\" thread)

The Revenge Thread

Brief overview of the revenge thread: girlfriend, who is Romanian but a US citizen now, has her "fiance" fly in from Romania the day after Christmas. I found out she's engaged from a 3rd party on Christmas Day and get pissed. She doesn't speak to me or return any phone calls when I ask her about it. I consider some sort of revenge for this obviously evil ploy on her part to f*ck with my head and make me miserable.

So, I find out tonight from a VERY reliable source that the marriage is a "a marriage of convenience" so the guy can get his US citizenship. Apparently, he is a friend of the family, yadda, yadda, and he's crashing on the couch for now until he finds a job and his own place. They will eventually get a divorce and go on seperately when he gets his own citizenship. Source says that girlfriend hardly even knows the guy, and in fact they have never met in person - only talked on the phone and IM - before he arrived in Denver.

Why didn't she tell me about this you might ask (and I did). The reliable source tells me that girlfriend is terrified that I will reveal the scheme and get them both arrested, deported, etc., but that she is heartbroken and still wants to be with me. The plan was set in motion way before I even met this girl. It was just bad luck that I heard this from the 3rd party (not the reliable source BTW) before she told me herself. Source tells me that girlfriend was going to tell me before he got here but thought that I "wouldn't approve" and she just got really ,really scared and didn't know what to do.

The source makes me swear that I won't reveal that she told me this info. The source a very good friend to both of us and frankly told me all of this because she felt bad for the way things were playing out and she hopes we can work things out.

I know that this sort of "marriage of convenience" thing happens with foreigners all the time. I've heard many, many stories about it and was actually asked to do this for someone for $10K last year from a Bulgarian guy trying to get his sister here. I declined.

Anyway, girlfriend has no clue that I know about all of this yet. She still thinks that I think she's an atrocious whore for screwing me over.

So what's your play here? I really don't know if I'm down with the whole "marriage of convenience" thing, but I did really think I was in love with this woman before the crap hit the fan.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Marriage of Convenience? (update on the \"Proper Revenge\" thread)

Have you ever met a Russian immigrant before this? This is all terribly standard.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever met a Russian immigrant before this? This is all terribly standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I work with a few dozen "Russian" (if you mean eastern European and formerly communist) people. This chick is Romanian.

So what's your play? Go along with it and stay with the girl or leave?
Old 01-14-2007, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I work with a few dozen "Russian" (if you mean eastern European and formerly communist) people. This chick is Romanian.

So what's your play? Go along with it and stay with the girl or leave?

[/ QUOTE ]

No advice really, but again, this is super standard.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it's common, I even eluded to that in my OP. So why are you replying to my OP again? No offense man....
Old 01-14-2007, 08:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it's common, I even eluded to that in my OP. So why are you replying to my OP again? No offense man....

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. Advice. Nobody here knows how strongly you feel about this girl, and honestly, there is no way you are going to take any advice whatsoever in this situation. Unless you are a complete [censored] retard, your mind is made up, one way or another. Stop your mental masturbation and deal with your life instead of sitting here crying about [censored] when you already know what you're gonna do.

Better?
Old 01-14-2007, 10:07 AM

So she isn't actually cheating on you in any way. Just this contrivance to get someone in the country that started before she even knew you. Someone you trust even told you she still cares about you. And you go on the tubes looking for ways to get revenge against her?

You are the penis in this situation. If the world didn't revlove around you it might have crossed your mind that this woman is in a pretty crappy situation and might like some support from her boyfriend. Oh, wait, she already knows she can't trust you enough to tell you this for fear you would turn her into the police. Dude, if you had actually read what ed had said you might have even figured some of this out. And wtf does this need two threads for?