Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2006, 06:23 PM

Default Re: New to a Home Game; How to Deal with a Rude Player??

In general, I'd say keep low-key and easy going if you're new to the game. Play whatever style that suits you, but don't get into it with other players aside from the action on the table. I host a regular home game and the worst thing a newbie could do is show up and start acting hostile or superior to any of the regulars...

In general, I've found the best way to be at the table is easy-going, friendly, and laid-back... Don't let anyone see you as too intense, too serious, or too focused. Don't get too rattled and shrug off rude comments from any opponent. Better to say too little than too much, especially if you're new to the game and still getting a feel for the group...

If it becomes something that recurs, that's another story, but a random comment here or there shouldn't be a big deal. Get your payback on the table when you outplay the other guy...
Old 10-18-2006, 04:26 PM

I cry.

Ray
Old 01-02-2007, 09:08 AM

Apply the Third Aggreement.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:44 AM

I had something happen kind of similar while in Metropolis about a month or so back. I had QTd in the SB and this loud player across from me kept berating people so I complete the blind. Flop is Kd Jh 8d. I check and get bets out like 20 into the pot me and 4 other players call. As on the turn, this time I bet out 20 because I know he is going to raise. He makes it 100 straight and I go all-in. He insta calls with AJo River is the Ace of diamonds...How [censored] sick. Then he gets up and starts talking [censored] to me and what not and the floor comes over and I told him if he wanted some that we could step outside and I'd give him all he could handle and that he couldnt hangle what I was going to give him. Floor starts trying to blame me and the dealer steps in and says he was the problem and what not. Needless to say the floor didnt do [censored] about it and I told them I wouldnt ever be back because of it.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:34 PM

I don't get mad when this has happened to me. I've been advertising with my earlier shown bluffs, he caught me (my advertising has worked), and now I can get paid off on big hands.

Tell him nice call. Compliment his big stack. Adjust your play. Watch your stack grow as his dwindles...
Old 01-04-2007, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had something happen kind of similar while in Metropolis about a month or so back. I had QTd in the SB and this loud player across from me kept berating people so I complete the blind. Flop is Kd Jh 8d. I check and get bets out like 20 into the pot me and 4 other players call. As on the turn, this time I bet out 20 because I know he is going to raise. He makes it 100 straight and I go all-in. He insta calls with AJo River is the Ace of diamonds...How [censored] sick. Then he gets up and starts talking [censored] to me and what not and the floor comes over and I told him if he wanted some that we could step outside and I'd give him all he could handle and that he couldnt hangle what I was going to give him. Floor starts trying to blame me and the dealer steps in and says he was the problem and what not. Needless to say the floor didnt do [censored] about it and I told them I wouldnt ever be back because of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound like a real winner.

Smile and nod...
Old 01-04-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In any case, I was pretty mum about it and I'm looking forward to going back to the game. My image is wreckless LAG at this point and I'm probably going to switch gears completely and play a more TAG game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Handled it perfectly IMO. If he keeps doing it, and it gets personal, you'll have to speak up for yourself. Explain that he should be happy that you are playing so "badly". You respect his game(outwardly I hope) and he needs to respect yours.

Hopefully he calms down and it doesn't go any further. Most of the time other guys will act as mediators to keep things under control and happy. But sometimes, guys like that can be complete game killers.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:16 PM

challenge him HU for 10k :/
Old 01-13-2007, 07:39 PM

Agreed, this is the [censored] 10k fights are made for, yo.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:59 AM

Who [censored] cares. Just keep taking their damn money and let them say whatever the hell they want. As long as you are taking their money, that's all that matters.
The words soon evaporate into nothing and are eventually forgotten, but their hard-earned money remains in your bank account for as long as you choose.