Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2007, 02:56 PM

Default Bad Play with AK?

Wouldnt normally play AK this way but I was still suprised at
villain's reaction. I'm including the fact that villain had JJ because his
angry reaction is what lead me to post this hand. Please blow holes in my logic.

Because of Villain's 3.75 PF raise after 4 limpers I felt that a reraise wasn't
going to get any hands to fold that the 3.75 wouldnt push out. In fact I
considered (albeit briefly) folding but the price was obviously right
against anything except AA. So given my small stack I limped figuring I'd take
a look at the flop and be able to get away if I completely missed. As it turned out the flop left me with many probable outs, so I thought the reraise all in was ok there?

Was the preflop call (vs raise or fold) really bad?

Ultimate Bet
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25./$0.50.
10 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $50
UTG+1: $26
UTG+2: $39.50
MP1: $50.95
MP2: $34.25
MP3: $17.05
CO: $56.10
Button: $4.25
Hero: $24.45
BB: $51.50

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
2 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to $3.75</font>, Button folds, Hero calls, BB calls, 2 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($19.75, 5 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets $9</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises all-in $20.7</font>, 3 folds, CO calls.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($61.15, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $61.15)

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($61.15, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $61.15)

Results:
Final pot: $61.15
<font color="#ffffff">Hero shows Kh Ad</font>
Old 01-12-2007, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Bad Play with AK?

I like it. You want to see the last 2 cards and leading flop puts us in an awkward place if we get called and turn bricks. Its a high variance play and theres no guarantee hitting a heart on the river will give us the nut flush; but i think
c/push &gt; b/push &gt; c/c &gt; c/f.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:01 PM

Given your stack size and terrible position I think this is a push PF. That would be even better if there was a raise followed by a caller or two, since you are then hopefully in a coin flip with dead money (assuming the cold callers fold) as an overlay. There's still dead money here from the limpers here, just not as much. Anyway, AK really wants to see 5 cards and shoving PF negates your positional disadvantage.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:24 AM

Was my preflop call (vs raise or fold) really terrible?
Old 01-13-2007, 01:02 PM

I don't think the preflop call is really bad--you can't necessarily expect everyone to come along, as happened here. And any reraise less than a shove pretty much leaves you pot-committed anyhow, while there's a good chance that a shove gets called mostly by AA, KK. I think pushing preflop would be better if there was a caller or two after the preflop raise.

Postflop, I'm not sure I'm as keen as others on the checkraise. I don't think you'll fold out a Q or the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (or obviously two pair+). I guess you probably fold out a 10 (though maybe CO would call with A10 feeling pot-committed) or another AK. There's a chance of folding JJ or lower PP, but I'm not sure you can count on those both betting (so you can checkraise) and then folding to a small raise.

IMO, there's merit in open-pushing the flop. The open push is just a PSB, really, and it should have more fold equity than the checkraise. There's a chance of folding the bare A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], and something like QJ might fold too. I think JJ usually folds to the open-push.

I don't think you want to check-call, because it'd be a shame the induce a cold-caller to come along with something like A10 or K10, counterfeiting some of your outs. Though inducing J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] to call along would be nice....
Old 01-13-2007, 01:17 PM

Reload to 50.

Given your stack size preflop I think push=call&gt;fold&gt;raise.

On the flop I think all that matters is that you get your money in as I don't think there will be much difference in the hands that you fold out. Open push is oviously better if you have a read that CO often checks behind.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:58 PM

RR AI PF villain is likely raising light(squeezing) to punish limpers..Your stack is to short to make a normal RR amount..AK will miss the flop about 66% of the time and AK want to see 5 cards..

As played open shove the flop..Maximizes FE and likely to fold underpairs and other unpaired hands that have 6 outs to beat you..An open push will often fold many straight draw hands as well..