Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2007, 03:22 PM

Default Help me not messing this f\'n hand

45man 1,20 15 peoples left
Do you think raise min preflop makes him fold ? Raise 3bb? What if I raise PF and he shoves? I know Ive made mistake here.
How do I fold when people shove I cant, I just have major trouble folding shove.. Help me, It's been a problem for a while...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (8 handed) internettexasholdem.com

MP2 (t3815)
CO (t1175)
Button (t1200)
SB (t3540)
Hero (t5620)
UTG (t2940)
UTG+1 (t4355)
MP1 (t8480)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t400) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t800</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t1200</font>, Hero calls t400.

Turn: (t2800) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1000</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t2140</font>, Hero calls t1140.

River: (t7080) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t7080
Old 01-12-2007, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Help me not messing this f\'n hand

MINRAISING SUCKS, DONT MINRAISE.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:52 PM

I raise to t700 preflop.

Raise to t1300 on the flop. Call a push.

As played, push the turn.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:00 PM

Here's the thing that a lot of new players don't understand. Just because you have TP or the flop hit you doesn't mean you have to bet. Sometimes you are looking for a cheap showdown. You don't always have to price out draws.

On the flop, you are in a scary position. You have top pair, which is probably good. However, SB only had to complete, so he might have 2 pair or something else that beats you. So on the flop, I'm not anxious to build this pot and risk all my chips on the turn and river. So I would just call the flop. The board is uncoordinated and drawless, and if you make a substantial raise, the only hands that will call you (probably) are hands that beat you.

Now, in the low stakes, when you call the flop, the villian is almost always going to bet the turn and river. The villians are afraid not to be aggressive. So when you called the flop, you were pretty much committing yourself to calling the river and turn. So you may still lose a lot of chips. But it's preferable to raising the flop, because a villian that you beat will probably fold to your raise on the flop, but he will bet the turn and river if you just call the flop.

Depending on the action, you may want to raise the river if you have a good belief that you are ahead. Here, given that this is a blind battle, the 3 on the turn worries me and I would just call the turn and river.

So, in a nutshell, here's what I would do.

Flop: SB bets 400, I call
Turn: SB checks, I check (because of the 3 -- that 3 is scary to the SB and he will fold if he doesn't have one and you bet).
River. If SB checks, I'm betting for value. If SB bets, I'm calling.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:33 PM

yea that 3 was scaring me should have simply check behind ... ty for comments
Old 01-12-2007, 04:38 PM

Pretty easy raise preflop in a blind battle. Shoving TPGK HU is usually not a mistake but SB definitely likes his hand. A raise PF would have made this hand easier, as would a big raise on the flop. I would probably push this in a vacuum, need to know more about SB though.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:40 PM

I would raise or push preflop.

I might flat call on the flop.

I wouldn't miniraise, but it isn't terrible here. I would push when villain miniraises you back.

Turn is OK. No way to avoid going broke if villain has trips.

I don't think the stacks are deep enough to play top pair real carefully here.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:55 PM

I would def raise pf, often they will just toss their hand away, both now, and in the future

On the flop, he has potted, when he could have bet 200, and then has raised oop.

As weak tight as this sounds, can we consider dropping to the raise on the flop? If his raise was bigger, I could consider it.

Vilain is not afraid of the q on the flop. I tend to slow down, with the 'dont go broke with one pair" theory when strength has been shown, as has been here.

Check behind, because i think we are in serious trouble if he raises, then leads out the river.