Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Hypothetical BB Hand ( Goes along with Explotiable play and Resteals)

I was thinking about This situation that will more than likly come up late in trnys often.

Hero 20bb is in BB with hands like QJs KJs-KQ A9s+ 77+

Folded to CO (35bb) But has folded to RR in this position . raises 4bbs.

Folded to button (18BB) pushes, you know is a Good player that would see this oppertunity to resteal here with any two.

Most of these situations I am mucking most anything that I have here, but I am thinking that this giving up way to much. Should my Over push range open up greatly here, to take advantage of what I know about both players in the hand?
Old 01-12-2007, 07:04 PM

Default Re: Hypothetical BB Hand ( Goes along with Explotiable play and Resteals)

This is a tough one I think I would want 10-10-AQ or better to make a move in this situation. If your reads are good and you think there is a 50% chance or greater the raiser will fold you can move with less but if he re-raises you must throw it away. When a bluff like this fails you have to cut your losses and remember it was not your intention to go all in with A-8 suited. If he calls you also want a hand with potential, hands like 9-J through 10-Q suited are always handy in this situation. If my BB ratio was lower like 10-14 I would come over the top all in with suited connectors down to 7-8 and hands like KJ and A10. The reason I like lower end suited conectors is because they are far less likely to be dominated if he has a real hand.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Hypothetical BB Hand ( Goes along with Explotiable play and Resteals)

you are over thinking, just fold and wait for a better spot.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:13 PM

Sometimes you have to defend your blinds against players like this or they will take liberties. If you have a good read then its worth re-raising here just to show you will fight for the chips out in front of you. Remember though its a big move and people will remember it so dont over do it and go back to a very tight range of hands for the next 3-4 rounds.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:45 PM

there are better spots to defend than calling off 18bbs of your 20bb stack with 1 invested.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:56 PM

Yes I understand that, and I 100% fold is this situation with all but my top hands. But are we folding in these situations to readly for the fact alone that we feel that we can find better spots, when this may be an idea situation to take advantage of.

It seems like the resteal works so well since that is the train of thought.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:05 PM

Default Re: Hypothetical BB Hand ( Goes along with Explotiable play and Reste

I was just about to post almost the exact type of hand! Great minds must think alike.

With 20 bbs, lets see. if we rr to 9bbs, this leaves us 10bbs, and we are basically pot commited.

Am i correct in thinking that we should not really ever rr, but shove in this scenario?

I am also feeling very lost in this scenario, constantly feeling out of my depth. Just to fold, well, we love those players on our left and right, dont we?

If we get too aggro, its easy to remember the times when we rr the maniac on the button, who showed us bullets.

I would very much like the advice of fellow members, as to what they would do in situations like this.

Lets say, 20bbs, villain raises from co or button. He will prolly do this with ax, kx, j10s, suited connectors.

Button and sb folds,

i) what do we call with?

ii) what do we rr with?

iii) what do we shove with?

iv) what do we stop n go with?

i) what level of bb can we rr and fold, as opposed to shoving? I assume its about 18-20bbs?

All help much appreciated, because this is one aspect of my game that needs improvement!
Old 01-12-2007, 08:35 PM

Either I am confused by OP's situation, or other posters are confused.

Is this the intended scenario:

Folds to CO. CO raises to 4x
Button pushes for 18x
SB folds
Hero is bb with KJs, 88, etc, and has 20x. What should hero do?

People are answering OP's question as if he were asking about restealing. I thought he was asking a very different question, namely, what do you do with a marginal hand in the face of two raisers when it's possible neither of them has a legitimate hand? I have not done the math on this, but I'd guess calling is -cEV without a strong ace or reasonably high pair.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:46 PM

Jay s, you are correct, I am incorrect. I misread the OPs post as it just being a steal, then folded to him.

I apologize for mucking the thread up and confusing everyone