Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2007, 05:07 PM

Default NL 10, AJ river decision

Second orbit so no reads. I bought in short-stacked ($4) since I'm still developing my postflop play (read: I make more costly mistakes than win big pots). Comments on all streets welcome.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.05/$0.10
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $12.30
CO: $13
Button: $18.05
Hero: $7.35
BB: $10.80

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls, CO folds, Button calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $0.35</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, Button calls.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($1.15, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $0.75</font>, UTG calls, Button folds.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($2.65, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $1</font>, UTG calls.

River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($4.65, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets $4.65</font>, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: $4.65 returned to UTG.

Results:
Final pot: $4.65
Old 01-12-2007, 05:10 PM

Default Re: NL 10, AJ river decision

I disagree with buying in for the shortstack (you can do a search on why that's generally -EV).

I'd bet closer to pot on flop. I'd probably check/fold on turn without any reads...
Old 01-12-2007, 05:17 PM

Bet more on the flop...I could check the turn but since you bet it bet more. Fold river
Old 01-12-2007, 05:44 PM

PF if you are going to raise standard raise is 4xBB +1BB per limper in this case raise to at least 60c I would add a BB or 2 for being OOP and the level(.05/10)..

Flop bet is OK..I would prefer a larger close to PS..Turn if you choose to bet you need to bet more..I would check and see what villain does..At this level most villain could care less about there kickers they know they have TP and that all they are worried about..The river smells like a fold but your weak turn play could induce this bet from another Ace..Either way your kicker got counterfieted so I would fold..I do not think a hand you beat will make this bet often enough to be +EV and when you are not beaten you are splitting a high % of the time..
Old 01-12-2007, 06:00 PM

buying in short to improve your postflop play is completely backward. you need a bigger stack to work on postflop, a shortstack is all preflop poker. there arent any decisions postflop. If its a pure $ issue then move down and play full buy in to work on your postflop game.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:06 PM

Instead of buying short, why not move down and buyin full? You're here to learn and the overwhelming consensus is buying in full is necessary. Play stakes where losing a buyin isn't so scary.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Instead of buying short, why not move down and buyin full?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, or you can still buy in short and play super tightish preflop/flop game to get your bankroll bigger, but as said before that's not gonna help you with your turn/river play much.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:01 PM

I don't like the size of your preflop raise. I would probably just call, but if I were going to raise, I'd make it more of a squeeze play and raise bigger. You've got bad position and a hand that wants to win right away and be HU, so either get in cheap (and then be careful) or raise more to squeeze the limpers.

The flop bet is fine, but is probably at the bottom end of the range of the flop bet. I tend to not c-bet as big on ace-high flops (even if they are 2-flushed).

On the turn, I would either check and call only a small bet or I would bet more than you did, probably $2. I'm with you on the river c/f.