Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2007, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Jesus, Myth, etc.

The question is which cultural factors led to the rise of Christianity. And you're right that even some Christians accept that cultural factors were largely responsible, even more of a hit against NR. But in general, from a non-Christian perspective Christianity must have come about due to cultural and sociological factors, whereas according to Christian the trigger for Christianity was the virgin birth.

And when I talk about the origins of Christianity I'm talking about the origins of Judaism, too. The difference between myths existing because they really happened and myths evolving as they're passed from generation to generation should be obvious - although the line between them isn't necessarily easy to draw (in many cases there was probably an initial event exaggerated over time through "telephone" dynamics).
Old 01-09-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

even more of a hit against NR.

[/ QUOTE ]

Show me where I deny that cultural factors influenced Christianity.

The original post by the now absent would-be debater stated that Jesus was based on Hercules. Why don't you address the issue?
Old 01-10-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Show me where I deny that cultural factors influenced Christianity.

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I can tell, that's exactly the claim made by Holding. Although in a more limited sense, you obviously can't believe that the story of Jesus was influenced by previous myths, because it really happened.

[ QUOTE ]
The original post by the now absent would-be debater stated that Jesus was based on Hercules. Why don't you address the issue?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with Boro about that. Personally I think the most direct inspiration for Jesus was probably Osiris, although I believe (as do most) that Jesus is more of an amalgam of various mythical personalities.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As far as I can tell, that's exactly the claim made by Holding.

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt you show me from the link where he says that. While doing that be especially careful to avoid referring to the Easter link I gave where he admits medieval pagans influenced medieval Christianity, which has nothing to do with this thread.

[ QUOTE ]

Personally I think the most direct inspiration for Jesus was probably Osiris, although I believe (as do most) that Jesus is more of an amalgam of various mythical personalities.

[/ QUOTE ]

The audience is giving you your rapt attention. Please proceed with your evidence.

BTW, if you aren't going to post anything substantive, due to the constraints of time, I'm going to pull a Boro.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:00 AM

One thing seperates Christianity from all other faiths -

other faiths have God coming to earth - some even have a virgin birth and a Son of God -

none have Grace except Christianity. All others are the same ol "work your way to heaven - if your good deeds outnumber the bad, etc, etc" - Only Christianity offers forgiveness and grace from the moment you choose to believe things went down the way they said they did.

-------------

Ridiculously simple concept for a faith, and yet so very very difficult for most folks.

(first observation above came from CS Lewis, BTW - 2nd point is my observation.)

RB
Old 01-12-2007, 03:38 PM

That is one of the unique things about Christianity - the idea that people automatically should be tortured, and that only a special Grace prevents that.

Strangely enough, most religions don't put forth the doctrine that people are disgusting insects deserving only of infinite unimaginable torture, thus they have no need for Grace to solve the "problem."
Old 01-12-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing seperates Christianity from all other faiths -

other faiths have God coming to earth - some even have a virgin birth and a Son of God -

none have Grace except Christianity. All others are the same ol "work your way to heaven - if your good deeds outnumber the bad, etc, etc" - Only Christianity offers forgiveness and grace from the moment you choose to believe things went down the way they said they did.

-------------

Ridiculously simple concept for a faith, and yet so very very difficult for most folks.

(first observation above came from CS Lewis, BTW - 2nd point is my observation.)

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, no offense, but LOL at grace being a GOOD thing about Christianity.