Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2007, 09:30 PM

Default River Bet Sizing: For Value and for Bluffs.

Kind of a generic question, but against certain opponents when there are multiple draws on board (and I only have one of the draws) I often call with the intent of betting if I hit my draw or bluffing if the other draw hits. In essence giving me more 'outs.'

My question relates to how to size the River bluff when the bogus draw hits. I guess the proper answer is 'the same size you would make your value bet if your draw hit.' How do the following factors affect yur bet size:

- Which draw hit: straight or flush? Since a flush is more visible, is your bluff/value bet less?

- Stack size of opponent. How big a stack must opponent have for this play to be +EV.

- If you are already facing a bet.

- If you have position.

- Any other factors.

Consider the following hand. I am drawing to a straight with a FD on board. The flush hits on the River and opponent makes an obvious blocking bet, but has less than the pot left behind, so if I am going to try and blush its an obvious push.

- Should one not even try this play with someone this short?

- Assuming effective stacks are much larger, what amount do you bluff?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($22.35)
Hero ($53.35)
Button ($45.10)
SB ($18.60)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $1.25, BB calls $1.

Flop: ($4.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $2</font>, Hero calls $2, SB folds.

Turn: ($8.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $2</font>, Hero calls $2.

River: ($12.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ??
Old 01-11-2007, 09:57 PM

Default Re: River Bet Sizing: For Value and for Bluffs.

Push there probably gets him to fold whatever crap hand he's been betting like that, oftentimes that's not even tp.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:07 PM

Default Re: River Bet Sizing: For Value and for Bluffs.

Raise to something like $10 can often does the same trick for less money.