Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2007, 09:00 PM

Default Trip report new years eve and day in AC - real long and unprofitable)

Not sure if anyone is interested but here is a rather long winded thought on my two days in Atlantic City on 12/31 and 1/1:

Since I have no real life especially with the ladies I decided I would make the drive from Virginia to AC for New Years. With 12/31 being on a Sunday, I had to figure how to work on watching the Steelers/Bengals game. So I left VA around 9 AM. So I get there and park at the Tropicana where I was planning on staying on 1/1 ($69 a night). Luckily there was a sports bar that was showing the game so I went to Adam Good place. Cheap beer specials, lucky Steelers win, and an incredibly hot bartender = good times [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

After the game I took a cab to the Borgata. First thing I needed to do was meet someone who had some Jim Norton tickets I won on ebay. After I got the ticket, I decided to start playing some poker. Found a $2/$4 table played for about 3 1/2 hours and broke even (which is like a win when you are drinking heavily in low limits). Really fun table with about 8 people all having fun drinking and not taking the game or themselves seriously. Probably the nicest Borgata tables I have even been in. About 9 I decided to get ready to see little Jimmy Norton of O&A fame in concert. Very funny but most of you know that already.

It is about 12:30 AM and trying to figure out what to do. I would love to go to a club in Borgata since it was the land of a million sexy women that night. But I didn't feel like waiting in long long lines at around $100 and probably get rejected because I was wearing jeans. So I decide to go back to poker room. This time played $3/$6 for about 3 hours and ended up about $50 up. Very odd table with a collection of 5 friends (some of them former dealers) drunk off their ass basically trying to reinvent the rules of races. If there was a nationality at the table, the stereotypes were flowing including a long discussion about whether Jews can play poker well because they value money too much. Of course one of the guys also felt the need to ask every single dealers and waitress if they knew they knew where to get good weed. I also learned that around 2:30 that I better stop drinking. Puking in my mouth is usually way to judge that. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]. But otherwise I am having a great time

Until I started playing no limit. After getting something to eat I decide to play $1/$2 NL around 5 AM with an opening pot of $150. When I first get there I look around and see something very weird. I am thinking to myself (while not trying to look like more of a moron) "hey I have seen on EsPN a lot). There was an actual professional at the table. I want to say his name is Tommy Chang but probably wrong. Anyway if you have seen the 2004 WSOP broadcast, he was the loud Asian at the side tables that was shown about 20 times that year. Everybody would recognize him. Loves to see the flops and doesn't mind limping in with great hands (which caught me as my K9 suited limped in died to KQ off from him) So that makes me nervous. Also the string of fun guys at the tables ended with a really arrogant jerk who about 10 times called himself a "semi pro" which I find idiotic since we are all professional players but it very definition. Spend the whole time yelling at the Borgata to bring more fish to the tables and felt the need to tell us how he lives at the borgata and loves to take money from "tourists like you". Apparently I missed the rule where apparently there is some qualification system in order to play $1/$2 at the Borgata. He was almost insulted that I decide to play the table. Judging from the fact that he only about $200 in chips most of the time, he must have barely met the criteria. Seriously if you are going to act like a punk at least have around $300 to play with. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Anyway after about 3 hours I lost all my money. Played way too cowardly in my opinion. Here are some hands that really emphasize that feeling:

1. Called a small $10 raise with 67 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in late position. 3 in the flop. Flop shows 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], a 6 and an ace. One guy bet $15, the pro raised to $30. I have a flush draw and middle pair with about $65 in chips and I fold. Sure enough the flush hits on river. Too worried about going all in.
2. Early position raises $10 with 66. 4 callers. Flop shows 10 8 4 rainbow. Guy before me bets out $35. I have $80 and I fold. Sure enough a 6 hits on turn.
3. The hand that really irrates me. Limped in with 10 8 suited. 5 to the flop. Flop shows 10 5 2 rainbow. Throws a $10 bet. All fold except the arrogant guy. Turn shows a K. The arrogant guy checks and in the first pussy move was a check. River is nothing. The arrogant guy bets $25 which is a serious overbet I thought. But didn't want to lose about 40% of my stack so I folded. Yep AQ offsuit. Coward play like I said.

At the end I went all in for last $40 on a low pair and a nut flush draw that didn't hit. So I left. Then decided to go back to the Tropicana. My plan was to kill some time at their poker room until check in. At this point I was really tired. So I go to the poker room around 9:00 for some more $1/$2. First of all maybe it was the time but that poker room is just very depressing. Dark and dirty with about 85% of the tables empty. But anyway I get into a table with about 7 people at another $150. I was convinced that I wouldn't get pushed around like last time. My first hand is JJ in early position. Well lets just say this was an example of stupid aggression because even though the flop has an A, I am throwing chips around. On the river the guy min raised my river bet and like a moron I called to his AQ offsuit. So 2 minutes into my play I lose 50% of my chips. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. For the next hour, I win and lose really small pots with nothing seriously. This table was very juicy as there was rarely a hand with a preflop pot of less than $20. Hell one guy raised all in pre-flop about $90 in early position with 22. One guy raised blind 3 separate times. Had KK once too [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. I thought I would get a chance to double up a few times but my all-in bets with top hands were met with folds. So I have about $60 bucks and get KK. Raise $15 pre flop and the raising blind guy calls. Hell why not he has about 5 times my stack. Flop shows an ace. Getting desperate I go all in for remaining chips knowing that I was probably dead. Well he had 45 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] with a flush draw. Hit the [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the river lets out a "I really suck" and leaves.

so it was 10:30 and my effort to win money and kill time failed. Now I am tired as hell and sweating bad because the Trop is pretty hot. Unfortunately check in was around 1:30. Little more gambling. Got something to eat and finally my exhausted, smelly, and hung over ass hit the room. Watch the Mountaineers win and spend new years day sleeping.

So basically my no limit play still stinks and I need to plan new years better so I don't have to stay up for more than 16 hours straight. Still beats doing nothing.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:13 PM

Default Re: Trip report new years eve and day in AC - real long and unprofitab

[ QUOTE ]
I also learned that around 2:30 that I better stop drinking. Puking in my mouth is usually way to judge that. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]. But otherwise I am having a great time

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-11-2007, 07:29 PM

you are an idiot
Old 01-11-2007, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you are an idiot

[/ QUOTE ]

You use your first post to call someone an idiot and then don't even explain why? You're cool.

Welcome to 2+2. It's fairly obvious you're going to be a valuable contributor to these forums.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you are an idiot

[/ QUOTE ]

You use your first post to call someone an idiot and then don't even explain why? You're cool.

Welcome to 2+2. It's fairly obvious you're going to be a valuable contributor to these forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's actually par for the course here, so i'd say he'll fit in just fine

[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2007, 02:59 PM

I believe the name of the guy is Bobby Chung. I've played with him a few times down in AC. Pretty fun guy.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Trip report new years eve and day in AC - real long and unprofitable)

[ QUOTE ]
There was an actual professional at the table. I want to say his name is Tommy Chang but probably wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just had an image of a stoned Tommy Chong sitting across the table.