Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2007, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Taking off the training wheels. One players thoughts.

[ QUOTE ]
That counting to four thing is a very good point actually PokerPlan.

My last biggest leak - which had me haemoraging money until I corrected it - was getting involved in Raising Wars without stopping and thinking "Hang on, why has this player re-raised my raise - perhaps I'm beat"

It came from under-estimating my oppenents, and ALWAYS happened when I played on ultra loose tables.

If I was up against loose players, I had a decent hand like a straight or a Flush, and my raises were being re-raised - it was a lethal cocktail. Dollar signs would flash in my eye's - and I'd re-raise and cap all the way to the showdown - Instead of stopping and running through the possible hands my oppenent may hold.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's also called going from 'playing your own cards' to 'a good poker player'.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:00 PM

I think most decent to good players focus on post flop play for a simple reason..... You can not be decent/good if your pre flop decisions are bad in limit poker IMO.

Pre-flop decisions also tend to be much straight forward to good players that understand the principles of how to play TAG, what hands play well in large multi-way pots, when to ISO a LAG, and what range to ISO with, position, etc.

There is no ONE way to play the marginal to semi-strong hands PF. It is all situational, but if you understand position and think about what has happened before you and by whom and in what position, then you will have a large advantage over the majority of people playing at your table.

Some concepts are hard for people trying to learn, while others are easy. I had a hard time explaining to a buddy of mine that A8o is an easy fold in EP and an easy raise if opening in late position and why completeing in the SB with T4s was bad if the only other person in the pot so far is the BTN who limped in.

Pre-flop play is VERY crucial if you are to play well. Good pre flop decisions tend to lead to easier post flop decisions.

I would contend, that in limit, a player who makes good pre flop decisions and plays just average post flop will be better off than someone who plays poorly pre flop, but makes good post flop decisions. I would also contend that this is just the opposite in NL to a certain degree since the ration of $$ going in post flop compared to pre flop is much greater in NL.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:03 PM

this is good stuff... I have recently had a revelation with regards to preflop play and this just helped even more. Nice post sir.