Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2007, 08:05 PM

Default Live preflop bluff, any thoughts?

This hand is from the Final table of a live 40 euro NLHE FO in an Oslo poker club which I played tonight. 40 entrants.

Top 4 pays.

Started the final table with t15000. Doubled up with AA against KK early. Took another big pot without showing down. When the bubble came I accumulated the rest by playing very loose and agressive. Guys at the table made several comments. Haven't shown down a hand in ages. We've been ITM for 5-8 orbits, and I've played very cautiosuly since then.

UTG was a huge nit on the bubble. Thought a long time before finally making a crying call in the BB with TT after a shortstack pushed from the button. Since ITM he has been opening all the time. Folded once when SB pushed over another one of his UTG raises. 3bb's has been the standard raise amount this far from all the villains.

Button seems like he likes to see flops.

Big blind is t4000, ante t500, 4-handed.

Stacks:
UTG: t65 000
Button: t80 000
SB: t40 000
Fiksdal: t72 000

Preflop: Fiksdal is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG raises to t12 000, Button calls t12 000, SB folds, Fiksdal raises all-in to t72 000.

Thoughts on this move?
Old 01-10-2007, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Live preflop bluff, any thoughts?

this is the classic" squeeze play" . im tired and not in the mood to do the math but what is the ev if he calls your bet 50% of the time? and you win 30 % of the other 50? i would estimate thats about right. if he raised w a marginal hand 4 handed and ITM he may say "screw it the pot is laying me good odds and im already 20% of my stack in" .i dont like the play to be honest. i think you are a strong enough player to out play and out decision these players based on some of your posts. i like making moves but when its for all my chips i like to have a hammer not a plastic spoon
Old 01-10-2007, 10:15 PM

your reads seem to imply thisi s a good play. stacks are certainly perfect for it.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:46 PM

Looks like a good squeeze to me. You imply that UTG has been raising so it's possible he is raising light and can't call with the Button in the hand. One would think that the Button would re-raise with a good hand so as not to give you incentive to call as well and isolate UTG.

Did it work?
Old 01-11-2007, 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like a good squeeze to me. You imply that UTG has been raising so it's possible he is raising light and can't call with the Button in the hand. One would think that the Button would re-raise with a good hand so as not to give you incentive to call as well and isolate UTG.

Did it work?

[/ QUOTE ]

These were exactly my thoughts.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:22 PM

Ok, since you pointed me this way. This is a great timing play. You have the perfect stack sizes to pull this off IMO and a ton of FE since there is the short stack with only 10bbs. Almost would prefer this on the bubble but whatever. Could almost be viewed as a huge overbet, but then again, any reraise is about half your stack so you might as well shove. Not sure how important the money is to these guys, if it is, then your FE goes up even more as now you only get called by QQ+, maybe JJ, and AKs (against decent thinking opponents anyway, which since you are ITM, will make the assumption they are decent players). Squeezing has never been a strength of mine and i tend to get called pretty light, last time i pulled a squeeze it was with 52s and i got called by AJo, i won the hand but damn, it destroyed my tight table image i had working for me.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:42 PM

How similar is this to Harrington's all in when Josh Ariah (sp?) raised from EP and was called by Greg Raymer?

Is the button calling here to outplay UTG with his position and stack? If so, then I guess it is very similar and thus, a good play.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How similar is this to Harrington's all in when Josh Ariah (sp?) raised from EP and was called by Greg Raymer?

Is the button calling here to outplay UTG with his position and stack? If so, then I guess it is very similar and thus, a good play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Harrington didnt go all in, but he did bet about half his stack.