Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2007, 08:21 PM

Default Macbook Questions

I'll admit this is more of a brag than anything, but I do have a couple of questions.

I just got an email from my University's listserve about a VERY limited supply of Apple Macbooks for sale in the bookstore for $649.00. I sped to campus to find out if these were used computer lab surplus machines or what the deal was. Nope, they're brand new 1.83 duo core w/512MB ram. I was able to lock up one of the remaining doezen or so, and also got $50 off the extended AppleCare warranty, which retailed for $183 from them. So I totaled at $828 and slapped that on my financial aid. I don't even know what I am going to do with this thing, but I just couldn't pass it up.

So, first of all. Has anyone else found a deal like this through a university? Or am I missing something here and am gonna get flamed because this deal has been around? I checked apple's website and ebay before I left, and Apple is still selling them for $1099 although they are dual core. On Ebay they are going for ~$800~1000.

With the extended warranty, I estimate a savings upwards of $600 from what it would cost to buy from Apple.

Also, to any macbookers out there... What's the best way for me to upgrade the RAM on this baby? I just went to Apple's website and the have 1GB sticks for sale, $150. If I bought that, I would have no use for one of the 256 sticks. I can't imagine that it would have much resale value?
Old 01-09-2007, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Macbook Questions

that sounds like a pretty sick deal. i don't like macs but I'd buy a macbook for that price.

I would get 2x1GB sticks. From what I can see, $125-150 is a decent price per stick.

You may be able to ebay the sticks in the comp, but it wouldn't be worth much (15-25 a stick is my guess).
Old 01-10-2007, 02:26 PM

bump

There are more of these available that I'm thinking about picking up another one... I just can't figure out why they're so cheap. I MUST be missing something here?
Old 01-11-2007, 02:05 PM

Is it Core Duo or Core2 Duo?

The Core Duo chips are an older technology.