Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2006, 03:21 PM

Default pocket 77, turned straight, capped with dead money?, lost on the river

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

This table was very loose. I am at work so I can't look it up, but I think the total VPIP was 45%. That included myself and two other TAG type players. Almost every raised hand had at least 3 cold callers. Not a lot of aggression except from the to previously mentioned TAGs.

Preflop: Hero is CO with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

This was not a bad flop for my hand and MP1 bets anything and I mean anything checked to him. He is also capable of folding right there to a raise. A raise to "thin the field" may have been in order here but as I have been getting my butt kicked lately, I wanted to see the turn card first. I know this call was very marginal, but my real questions are later in the hand. Feel free to comment on the whole hand, but my real question is on the river.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, UTG calls.

Probably the best card I could have asked for there. SB is one of the TAGs and at this point I figure him for K7s, A7s, small chance of 45s. I can't believe that he would have 7Ts here, but after the 3bet i start to worry.

River: (16.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 19.50 BB

Here is my question. After he bets into my cap, I really got worried about the 7Ts. But with UTG calling along, someone is dead money if no one has the 7T. Do I keep betting here due to my read of the TAG and the dead money or slow down? Looking back, regardless of whether I split here or lose, I think I should go ahead and raise, cap if I get the chance.

thanks,

mitch
Old 02-10-2006, 03:26 PM

Default Re: pocket 77, turned straight, capped with dead money?, lost on the river

T7s is a possibility, since there was no raise preflop. I think I raise/call a 3-bet. Capping is probably spew since the evidence that Villain has T7 would probbaly override the dead money coming in from UTG (which you'd likely only get half of if you win any at all).
Old 02-10-2006, 03:31 PM

Default Re: pocket 77, turned straight, capped with dead money?, lost on the r

[ QUOTE ]
This was not a bad flop for my hand and MP1 bets anything and I mean anything checked to him. He is also capable of folding right there to a raise. A raise to "thin the field" may have been in order here but as I have been getting my butt kicked lately, I wanted to see the turn card first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flop raise is better by far. I'm not sure that many players will call two bets with just a single overcard, but they might call with one bet. I like your seat selection, whether it was random or intentional.

With UTG hanging around on the river, I might raise once more, but I wouldn't cap.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:32 PM

Default Re: pocket 77, turned straight, capped with dead money?, lost on the river

I would've raised the flop to thin the field as you mentioned. You have a very vulnerable hand that may be best now. If you just call and the turn comes a blank like a 2 and MP1 bets again how would you proceed? call, fold, raise? Raising this flop should avoid a lot of that confusion.
On the river I would raise and call a 3bet.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:56 PM

Thanks for your comments. My plan was to raise a blank on the turn and probably call down from there if three bet if the river wasn't to scary. Also depends on the third player at that point. You are probably right about the flop raise being the best move here to clean up overcards.

thanks

mitch
Old 02-11-2006, 12:50 AM

Grunch.

I'm raising this preflop from the CO in order to steal the button and hopefully fold the blinds.

The way you played it, I'm raising the flop to hopefully fold out folks with one, or maybe even two overcards. Plus, since your read of MP1 autobetting, isolating here isn't a bad play at all.

I love the turn.

With UTG staying in the hand, and the flush draw did not come through, and the board didn't pair, I raise the river. SB has to be on exactly one hand, T7 to beat us, and at least one of us 3 doesn't have the straight.

If UTG doesn't come along, then I'll just call after that.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:56 AM

Default Re: pocket 77, turned straight, capped with dead money?, lost on the r

grunch.

Everything looks ok to me.
SB suddenly jumps to life with that eight, so were maybe tied with 7's, or behind T7. Thats a very thin possibility considering we have 2 of the 7's already. The only other possibilites are 2 pair and 3 of a kind with that eight. I think just calling this river is perfectly acceptable with UTG still in.