Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2007, 03:30 AM

Default Re: $10 if you can solve my TiVo audio issue

Your first problem is getting Comcast.

DishNetwork > Cable

30+ HD Channels with DishNetwork
12 or so with Comcast HD

DishNetwork is WAY cheaper than Comcast (or any cable)

Get DishNetwork if you want to get the most out of your 42".

Seriously, cable sucks.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On the TiVo connection to the HDTV, I have the Component Video cable [blue/green/red], and tried the 3-color composite A/V cables, and also a fiberoptic cable for sound. Still no TV sound on the new TV via TiVo input.
[Same issue with old Motorola box and new HDTV-cable box.]

[/ QUOTE ]

My Set Top Box (STB) is also made by Motorola. Try running the optical cable directly to the TV. If that doesn't fix it, you may have a bad optical cable. And if its connected to the STB it'll disable the other sound outputs. The salesman where I got my equipment told me to be careful with the optical cables as they aren't very robust.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your first problem is getting Comcast.

DishNetwork > Cable

30+ HD Channels with DishNetwork
12 or so with Comcast HD

DishNetwork is WAY cheaper than Comcast (or any cable)

Get DishNetwork if you want to get the most out of your 42".

Seriously, cable sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agreed with you until this year.

The ONLY reason you would get Directv is because of the sports channels and the NFL. Granted this is a BIG plus in my world. I love to watch Yes, FSNY, and MSG etc.etc. and the NFL package is so freaking awesome but I think that Comcast is a superior product over Directv/Dish.

On Demand is a great product and with the combination of HD and Tivo like recording you get a great picture and just as many choices as DirecTV.

Just my opinion.

P.S. I have DirecTV in three of the places I stay in often and Comcast in one place. I have to get special boxes. installation and stuff done on the other three houses to keep HD. DirecTV is 3 months behind on HD Tivo boxes. Comcast will install within one day. Just an FYI....
Old 01-11-2007, 05:09 AM

If you are using the tivo to watch live tv then I would have to suspect the audio input to the tivo. If the DVD and previously recorded programs have sound and they are coming from the tivo that tells me that the tivo ouputs to the TV inputs is ok. I know you are using the cable box on component 2 input right? And you have the tivo on component 1 input right? At some point you have to be coming out of the comcast box to the tivo. That is where I am suspecting the problem.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:58 AM

Getting a new sound system (while a great idea as it would likely increase your enjoyment of TV and DVDs) likely won't solve your TiVo audio issue. I think roy_miami is right - your cablebox can't simulateously output sound from the optical cable and the stereo (red/white cables) outputs.

Considering you have a wonderful new HDTV and that your TiVo can't record HD, seriously consider an HD-DVR, whether it be the Comcast offering or the Series 3 TiVo. You can still use the existing TiVo to watch DVDs and already-recorded content.

As far as Dish vs. DirecTV vs. Cable is concerned, they all have their strengths and weaknesses and the right provider depends on many factors. Fortunately, all of them offer HD-DVRs.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are using the tivo to watch live tv then I would have to suspect the audio input to the tivo. If the DVD and previously recorded programs have sound and they are coming from the tivo that tells me that the tivo ouputs to the TV inputs is ok. I know you are using the cable box on component 2 input right? And you have the tivo on component 1 input right?
At some point you have to be coming out of the comcast box to the tivo. That is where I am suspecting the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I copied the "No Sound on my TV" page from TiVo and will try all those steps, although I've doen most of them. I've disconnected the fiberoptic and am only using the 3-color A/V cables for stereo sound which have always worked. I'm going to try Powercycling the DVR, I think I've checked all the TV audio modes already and I've also tried the coax from DVR to TV and no help yet.

I'm still amazed connecting 3-color, or fiberoptic, or coax directly from TiVo to TV hasn't fixed the problem, nor has connecting any of those 3 from Cable box to Tivo fixed the problem. Currently I'm using 3-color [r/w/y] composite on both and taken extra coax and fiber off completely.

Next step is calling Toshiba, I guess.

I am going to reattach the TiVo to my old TV which worked perfectly and see if I get sound then. If I do, I know the issue is with the HDTV unit on some inputs or menus [but I've tried multiple inputs, they can't all be broken.]

Fwiw, I'm not in a hurry to spend $799 and $13 more a month for TiVo Series 3. I don't see the point yet and I get free TiVo basic service, esp when it doesn't include a HD-DVD or any DVD player like Series 2, as well as missing some other features. [I cannot get Dish where I live. So be it.]
Old 01-11-2007, 07:30 PM

Naj-

If you are using the TV speakers for audio as opposed to a receiver/surround sound, there is no benefit whatsoever in using the digital optical cable for audio. Get it out of there. It is only necessary for 5.1 sound which you don't have if your using tv speakers. In fact I'm suprised your tv has a digital audio IN jack, as there's no point. You sure it isn't an OUT jack?

That said -

Your multiple tv inputs are numbered, and certain audio inputs go with certain video inputs. In other words, you probably have multiple composit (L/R) audio inputs, but each one specifically goes with a particular video input. So make sure the video and audio coming out of your tivo and into your tv are using the matching inputs. They are usually numbered VIDEO 1, VIDEO 2, etc. Perhaps you have your video running to VIDEO 1 but your audio to VIDEO 2, so when your tv is on VIDEO 1 you get picture but no sound.

Also make sure in your cable box and in your tivo box in the settings that you turn off the digital audio out. As others have said, having that on might disable your composite audio connectors.

And you might know this, but it's unclear from your description - you can still use component video + composite audio (total of 5 cables - 3 video, 2 audio). Just because you aren't using digital optical audio doesn't mean you have to switch out component video.

P.S. the advantage of a series 3 would be the ability to record hi-definition.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:37 PM

I take back part of what I said. Looks like you are going

cable -> tivo via composite video
tivo -> tv via component

In this case there's no point in using component because you're only as good as your weakest link - in this case composite.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:16 AM

1st off, Love the loc, hilarious.

[ QUOTE ]

That said -
Your multiple tv inputs are numbered, and certain audio inputs go with certain video inputs. In other words, you probably have multiple composit (L/R) audio inputs, but each one specifically goes with a particular video input. So make sure the video and audio coming out of your tivo and into your tv are using the matching inputs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, they're all matched up. Good point though.
Oh, it is digital audio out - so I'm an idiot. Regardless, the digital was taken out days ago.
[ QUOTE ]

Also make sure in your cable box and in your tivo box in the settings that you turn off the digital audio out. As others have said, having that on might disable your composite audio connectors.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does one do this on the cable box? That's probably the issue or something very similar.

This I have no idea how to do. My TiVo audio settings screens list:
96khz pcm output
audio DRC
Dolby Digital Output [not selected]
DTS output for DVD
Sound fx volume
TV Audio - this just chooses btw Stereo, Mono, and SAP. I have it on stereo.

On the TiVo system information screen, it says 'Source Input - Composite Video, L/R Audio' [even though I don't composite video connecting them, just the L/R audio.]
[ QUOTE ]

And you might know this, but it's unclear from your description ... component video.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope, I'm using the component video both from TiVo and Cable Box to HDTV. Only the live TV sound feed via TiVo is missing, so there must be some setting or screen somewhere that is screwed up, because I've tried different wires on virtually all the connections and inputs.

Right now only component video, & 3-color composite cables are being used btw box and Tivo and HDTV [and coax from wall to cable box].

If you can tell me how to check/change settings to turn off digital audio out that may solve everything.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:15 PM

Glad you like the sportsnight quote.

Let me make sure I've got it:
Stuff you recorded on tivo pre-change has working audio.
Live tv (from cable -> tivo -> tv) has no audio.
Anything you record new (from cable -> tivo -> tv) has no audio.
Did I miss anything?

Then the issue is the audio out of your cable box and into your tivo box.

- try bypassing tivo and connecting your cable box audio directly to your tv.
- double check all your outs and ins. Make sure you don't have audio coming OUT of an IN jack or vice versa.
- You should have some sort of menu system on your cable box where you can access audio/video settings, like you do for tivo. Look for a way to disable digital audio out.

We will solve this problem. Don't give up, don't ever give up.