Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2007, 01:51 AM

Default Re: 27 worst played AK ever?

[ QUOTE ]
i thought it was a good play until villain flipped over AA. how tight of a range would you put the average multitabler?

[/ QUOTE ]

dude are you asking if you should have folded that flop? don't be silly.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, I'd fold if I *knew* that he had AA. The equity edge there is just too small. With over 20BB left, I'd fold in that spot and wait.

But, poker isn't about knowing exact hands, it's about ranges. And you'll be freerolling vs another AK here more often than you'll be facing AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely agree. Just showing how close it actually was even after the cards were flipped. (Or before they were flipped if AA was high up in your ranges for villian.)
Old 01-11-2007, 02:25 AM

lol, you played this totally fine, stop being so results oriented. he had AA woooooooh that means you played it badly? cuz you had TPTKNFD, my ass
shove that [censored] in everytime

nice hand
Old 01-11-2007, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I run so bad at the 27s.

[/ QUOTE ]

ha u villain?
Old 01-11-2007, 02:40 AM

I would play this line the same.

But could someone explain pushing PF here? It may be a leak of mine, but considering there are 8 remaining, I have 26BB, and there's a chance I could be racing vs a pair, I don't usually push here and want to see a flop instead. I usually don't start thinking about pushing over a limper with AK until the blinds (and the pot) are bigger. Meh?
Old 01-11-2007, 03:30 AM

Hmmmm... pushing PF vs UTG multi-tabling 3x raiser at the 25-50 lvl is just horrible IMO.

sure pushing pre vs unknown at $27 lvl is fine but I often just fold this hand PF vs a good regular.

In your case he was a multi-tabler that you didnt know so u decided to take the intermediate option which was calling and you got unlucky on the flop.

good line, bad result, sign up for another sng and move on
Old 01-11-2007, 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would play this line the same.

But could someone explain pushing PF here? It may be a leak of mine, but considering there are 8 remaining, I have 26BB, and there's a chance I could be racing vs a pair, I don't usually push here and want to see a flop instead. I usually don't start thinking about pushing over a limper with AK until the blinds (and the pot) are bigger. Meh?

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the greatly misunderstood concepts in this forum is the effectively short stack. Sure, in a STT 26BB is not "short." However, if you were playing a NL cash game, would you be smart to be sitting back and donking it up with 26BB? No. It's too short a stack.

Effectively, 26BB is a short stack. You have fold equity. The 225 chips in the pot make a difference to you already. If you're called, you have AK. Not all bad, and definitely ahead of UTG's range, multi-tabler or not. There are plenty of loose knuckleheads who multi-table.

That being said, 26BB is right on the edge of what I would push or fold in this spot. And with AKo, my answer would be different if he weren't in late position (I think OP was button) and had only two players left to act.

Since it's right on the border, a good read of the villain makes a call perfectly fine. In summary:

In this particular spot, with a specific read that dictates a call, I call.

Absent a read, I push.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:40 AM

call is a no brainer on flop