Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2007, 05:40 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?
Default Did I play this one correctly?

Absolute Poker
Limit Omaha Ring game
Limit: $2/$4
8 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (8 players) steamfish is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, 3 folds, steamfish calls, BB checks.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4SB, 4 players)
<font color="#cc0000">steamfish bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#cc0000">steamfish 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">steamfish bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (7BB, 2 players)
steamfish checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets</font>, steamfish calls.

Results:
Final pot: 9BB

He showed me a wheel and scooped.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Did I play this one correctly?

The worst you could be facing on the flop is an outside draw, and anybody holding A2 with an emergency low might stick around for one small bet, but certainly not a three bet. Wouldn't a flat call to draw in more low-hunters and a raise on the turn make more sense?
Old 01-10-2007, 08:07 PM

low hunters still have a decent draw against you, you want to win this pot on the flop.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:10 AM

steamboatin -

1st betting round:
You complete with a marginal starting hand in the small blind. Fine.

2nd betting round:
You flop a set of queens and bet. Fine.

Then UTG+1 raises and when the action gets around to you again, you find yourself heads-up with UTG+1. At this point I would not make it three bets. (I don't see any point in making it three bets - because I can't imagine UTG+1 folding for another small bet).

"What cards might UTG+1 hold to raise my flop bet?" That's what I'd be wondering.

And then I'd just call the UTG+1's raise. I think you're the under-dog in a heads up contest with a hand that limps before the flop and then raises your flop bet.

Whatever cards UTG+1 does hold, you're not going to blow him away with your re-raise.

3rd betting round:
I go into check/call mode and hope for a free card. Ten cards pair the board and a non-spade king gives you a Broadway. that's 13 cards that are good for you on the river, while you can't much like any of the 31 other cards, although some of them do minimul damage.

However, I don't think your 3rd round bet is terrible.

4th betting round:
You had some bad luck here. An ace is the worst possible river card for you.

You check in case UTG+1 has the wheel or the Broadway - and then you call UTG+1 in case he doesn't.

That's perfect, holding the damage to a minimum. Well played on the fourth betting round!

Mainly I think you generally do better with top flopped set (and nothing much else) if you back off when your second round bet gets raised.

Good on the fisrt betting round, good on the last betting round. Too aggressive with a high only hand and no good read on your opponent on the second and third betting rounds.

You asked.

Buzz
Old 01-11-2007, 03:41 AM

I go back and forth on how to play this. My general rule is to check a hand like this on the flop. Whenever you have top set and the board has two to a wheel. I also don't bet if there is to to a flush.

I don't think there is anyway you can get an A4, A5, or 45 to fold in this spot. Even if you check raise. You might be able to get junky lows in this spot to fold.

I also generally want callers, ie the low chasers.

The generally bad scenario is that if you bet and someone raises then it's likely heads up. If any low card comes on the turn they are no freerolling you.

On the turn is when I'm looking to tax these people. If the board pairs or now low comes then you figure out whether to lead out or check raise.

Now once you lead off the flop and your raised. That screams wheel wrap to me. Slow down unless you make the nuts.

Just my thoughts
Old 01-11-2007, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3rd betting round:
I go into check/call mode and hope for a free card. Ten cards pair the board and a non-spade king gives you a Broadway. that's 13 cards that are good for you on the river, while you can't much like any of the 31 other cards, although some of them do minimul damage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why c/c with the nuts? I understand checking if you're going for a c/r after putting him on a low draw, but I don't understand check calling to get a free card when you have the "turn nuts."
Old 01-11-2007, 05:43 AM

Buzz, why do you think AQQJ is a marginal hand? Given the situation, unraised pot and 4 players to the flop, I think complete is a no-brainer.

On the flop, hero is underdog against A45, but I wouldn't put UTG+1 on that just because he raised. Not yet.

I would definately continue betting when the safe turn card hit. And you are ahead of anything but A45 and a broadway card(J/Q/K) and a flush draw.

Not much you can do on the river. c/c and pray for half of the pot.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:46 AM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

Never worry about hurting my feelings, I am a big boy and if I ask for feedback, I can take it with no hard feelings at all.

My thought was I am in the lead either set over set or set over draw. I wanted to charge him to draw.(is this a holdem hangover that needs work?) His raise folded out the other player (If I remember correctly) so my three bet didn't chase any low draws away (as if it would in this game).

I have played 220 hands against villian. He is VPIP 27.7% preflop raise 3.18% and is 4.16 BB/100 winner over that 220 hands.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:18 AM

Agree about not 3-betting the flop. But check/calling the turn seems like a mistake. It's true that there are a lot of scary cards, but assuming that our opponent is holding A456 suited in spades seems a little paranoid (we can be quite sure he has a non-spade ace in his hand, so two of his other three cards would have to be spades). I would regard any high card and any board pairing as safe for us, with sevens and eights still allowing us to split. That's 21 scoop cards for us and eight more that split; opponent has more like a dozen scoop outs. Of course he could have the spades, but he could also have A334 or some similar hand that we're in much better shape against.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
3rd betting round:

[/ QUOTE ]

Why c/c with the nuts? I understand checking if you're going for a c/r after putting him on a low draw, but I don't understand check calling to get a free card when you have the "turn nuts."

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding. You have most hands crushed here, and almost all hands beat, so you put fresh money in the pot. It's not like you can fold the river for a single bet anyway. I could understand a check raise but a check call doesn't make a whole lot of sense.