Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2007, 10:16 PM

Default Saved from poverty? I don\'t think so...

"The Democratic-controlled House voted Wednesday to increase the federal minimum wage to $7.25 an hour, bringing America's lowest-paid workers a crucial step closer to their first raise in a decade.
The vote was 315-116, with more than 80 Republicans joining Democrats to pass it.

"You should not be relegated to poverty if you work hard and play by the rules," said House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Maryland."

I'm trying to think of a location in America where $15K per year ISN'T going to relegate you to poverty.... unless you have kids who can stay home by themselves while two wage earners pay for $500 per month in rent and $200 in groceries and have public transportation available.

Also, in the urban areas with higher costs, aren't a lot of lower jobs already paying $8+ an hour... and keeping people at the poverty level?
Old 01-10-2007, 11:27 PM

Default Re: Saved from poverty? I don\'t think so...

By only raising it two dollars they know there won't be much of an effect either way. This allows them to continue to tell poor people that they care about them but not have to worry about massive unemployment. Its sick how much the democrats have used poor people and minorities all these years. Hopefully one day the poor will realize the social programs designed to help them only hurt them.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:38 PM

Pennsylvania has already passed a law raising the minimum wage to $7.25 by next year. So, the federal law is useless for our state.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:15 AM

A federal minimum wage is ridiculous. Even assuming that the minimum wage can accomplish what proponents claim, there is no doubt that a minimum wage of 7.25 in North Dakota will have a different effect than a minimum wage of 7.25 in Manhattan. And simply acknowledging this shows shows what a political farce the federal minimum wage is.

natedogg
Old 01-11-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A federal minimum wage is ridiculous. Even assuming that the minimum wage can accomplish what proponents claim, there is no doubt that a minimum wage of 7.25 in North Dakota will have a different effect than a minimum wage of 7.25 in Manhattan. And simply acknowledging this shows shows what a political farce the federal minimum wage is.

natedogg

[/ QUOTE ]

DITTO... (or is it spelled dito)...

I couldn't agree more.

Here is the thing that pisses me off. In California the L.A. times is trying to exercise some 1984 "Newspeak" and change the term "minimum wage" to "living wage".

The bottom line is that minimum wage is not the wage individuals should be earning if they want to raise a family.

I see it all the time in the L.A. Times:

"A family of four with two working adults earning minimum wage cannot afford rent and basic care for their two children" ...

NO KIDDING... minimum wage is the MINIMUM. It's not the established rate to support a family. It's there to ensure that teenage workers and unskilled workers have some type of safety net against abusive companies.

I'm predicting this will become the biggest issue in CA over the next 10 years. Some liberals in office and a few left wing Mexican-American SIG's have suggested a $10 min. wage in CA.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's there to ensure that teenage workers and unskilled workers have some type of safety net against abusive companies.

[/ QUOTE ]
That doesn't sound right, considering teens and the unskilled workers are exactly the ones who would be hurt by a minimum wage and subsequent raises. Although it wouldn't be the first time the government hurt the people it was trying to help...
Old 01-11-2007, 02:56 PM

The higher min wage in Vermont all these years didn't hurt teens and unskilled workers.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The higher min wage in Vermont all these years didn't hurt teens and unskilled workers.

[/ QUOTE ]

We don't need your fancy empiricism here. We have simple economic theory that works well on paper.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Vermont is one of a handful of richest states in the country. Obviously the market price for labor will be higher there than in poorer states.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even assuming that the minimum wage can accomplish what proponents claim, there is no doubt that a minimum wage of 7.25 in North Dakota will have a different effect than a minimum wage of 7.25 in Manhattan. And simply acknowledging this shows shows what a political farce the federal minimum wage is.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a minimum wage accomplishes what proponents say it will, then the effects in both North Dakota and Manhattan are necessarily positive. Do you see why?