Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2007, 05:21 PM

Default $10 if you can solve my TiVo audio issue

Here's the situation. I have a Series 2 Tivo/DVD playa [Toshiba], Comcast cable box - new HDTV DCT 5100, and a new 42" Panasonic HDTV - Panasonic TH-42PX60U.

Before last week, I had the older digital Comcast cable box and a regular JVC tv. Everything worked perfectly.

Last week, I got the new HDTV. Hooked it up, everything still worked except for one very important thing --

There is NO sound coming thru the TiVo Inputs when I try to watch TV only - got the picture, but NO sound, records without sound.

But, when I watch DVDs or prio recorded programs via TiVo, I DO get sound!

I have the Cable box [old then new] going into Component 2 Input and TiVo going into Video Component 1 Input, so it's not a faulty cable box connection.

I get sound and picture on the TV/Cable box fine through the 5-color component input.

On the TiVo connection to the HDTV, I have the Component Video cable [blue/green/red], and tried the 3-color composite A/V cables, and also a fiberoptic cable for sound. Still no TV sound on the new TV via TiVo input.
[Same issue with old Motorola box and new HDTV-cable box.]

I also tried using just the 3-color composite A/V cables on a different input source or two into the HDTV, but still no sound.

The plan was to use the fiberoptic cable for sound and Component video cable for the TiVo. Didn't work so took out fiberoptic cable and put in old 3-color composite A/V cables. Same problem.
[TiVo Series 2 does not have HDMI inputs so no help there.]

Video is fine in all instances.
Regular TV sound is fine. TiVo DVD sound is fine. old Tivo programming sound is fine. Can't get 'live' sound now on Tivo.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. The one that solves my problem first gets $10.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:27 PM

Default Re: $10 if you can solve my TiVo audio issue

i have no idea, but the first thing that comes to mind is 'programmable inputs'.

on my denon receiver, i have to specifically enable/assign digital audio inputs to the correct video port. maybe the equipment in question requires the same?

or your flux capacitor is broken.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:28 PM

My first suggestion is to hard reset everything. Unplug (all power supplies, not wires) all items from wall and then re-plug back in about 30 seconds later.

If that doesnt work, then I would try unplugging each wire and re-wiring it (to make sure all connections are correct and placed firmly in).

If that doesnt work, I would assume something is wrong with the wires and/or boxes.

GL!

FYC
Old 01-10-2007, 05:28 PM

Remove the Tivo and go straight from the DCT to the TV. If you have audio then you know the problem is with the Tivo or not. If you still have no sound, then call Comcast and have them refresh you DCT. Otherwise I'd have the Tivo replaced.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:02 PM

It's not clear to me if you are going:

TiVo -> Plasma +
Cable -> Plasma

-or-

Cable -> TiVo -> Plasma

I'd guess the latter, but you never know. *If* so, check the settings on your cable box. Perhaps the cable box is set for digital output of sound rather than analog? A better understanding of how everything is wired would certainly help though.

As a postscript, consider the TiVo series 3. It's a bit pricey, but quite worth it imo.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:02 PM

Cable Box to HDTV via component video
Cable Box to HDTV via digital optical sound [or A/V composite]

Cable Box to TiVo via A/V composite 3-color wires [2 sets, I've tried both, could sub in fiberoptic for sound.]

From TiVo DVR to HDtV via component video output.
From TiVo DVR to HDTV via pair of A/V stereo audio output [3-color]

All the wires worked last week, and sound is delivered from TiVo to HDTV for DVDs and old shows.

Give up and have professional sound system installed?
Old 01-10-2007, 10:44 PM

I had a similar problem last week after connecting some new home theater equipment. My problem was once I connected the optical cable to my HDPVR, the rest of the sound outputs were shut off.

I had 2 different problems (had my receiver configuration wrong), so I tried to connect everything back to the way it was. Still no sound. The optical cable was kind of hard to plug in so I looked to make sure I didn't break anything when I noticed the red laser still coming from the output even though the cable had been removed. I'm not sure if I broke it or if its a design flaw but it's working for now.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:25 AM

What did you do after unplugging the optical cable to fix it?
Old 01-11-2007, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Cable Box to HDTV via digital optical sound [or A/V composite]

Cable Box to TiVo via A/V composite 3-color wires [2 sets, I've tried both, could sub in fiberoptic for sound.]

[/ QUOTE ]

Run both with the rca 3 color connections or the digital audio.

J
Old 01-11-2007, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What did you do after unplugging the optical cable to fix it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm forced to use the optical output.