Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2007, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Negreanu disrespects Chen

I've listened to the show and this...

[ QUOTE ]
But it wouldn't surprise me at all if some of the people who had problems with it weren't already somewhat tainted by some sort of dislike for Negreneau already and were practically looking for a reason to dislike him more.

[/ QUOTE ]

is just QFT.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Lets see you wrote "biatch". Yup definitely a white dude.
Ok you are white. Hows that "white guilt" working out for you fella?

Bill Chen is a big boy and if he found it offensive he can always speak up and tell DN to STFU. He does not need some over sensitive white guy like yourself to step in and protect him like some kind of special needs child.

Do you see why?

"biatch". el oh el.

[/ QUOTE ]

White guilt? LMAO. How is agreeing with the OP's comments make me or anyone else "over sensitive"? Take the sheet off of your head, take a deep breath, and understand that me and others simply are voicing an opinion that DN's comments re. race are, in our view, insensitive. I'm not tagging the guy as a racist but he does focus on race too much -- as you do however your overzealousness points to more deeply rooted issues. My guess is affirmative action kept you down.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Lets see you wrote "biatch". Yup definitely a white dude.
Ok you are white. Hows that "white guilt" working out for you fella?

Bill Chen is a big boy and if he found it offensive he can always speak up and tell DN to STFU. He does not need some over sensitive white guy like yourself to step in and protect him like some kind of special needs child.

Do you see why?

"biatch". el oh el.

[/ QUOTE ]

White guilt? LMAO. How is agreeing with the OP's comments make me or anyone else "over sensitive"? Take the sheet off of your head, take a deep breath, and understand that me and others simply are voicing an opinion that DN's comments re. race are, in our view, insensitive. I'm not tagging the guy as a racist but he does focus on race too much.

[/ QUOTE ]
This mentality makes me [censored] nauseous. He's [censored] around with his friends! Jesus! (Sorry DN.) Cut the guy some slack. He focuses on race too much? Can you name one other occasion, besides the two I've seen on TV (re: Asian accents) where he focuses too much on race?
Old 01-10-2007, 04:22 PM

I consider myself a fan of Negreanu because he's a good player and he's Canadian so I always cheer for him when he's doing well in big events.

However lately I'm becoming more annoyed by his arrogant attitude. His tirades against "math players" are tiresome and they are never logical or well explained. This latest Circuit episode was a great example.

He tried to give examples of mistakes that "math players" make but none of them proved his contention that they make mistakes.

For example he told a story about something TJ Cloutier once taught him. TJ is of course a very succesful tournament player and Negreanu gave him respect for that. Then he said that TJ once told him that he "makes his decisions based on whether he thinks he's got him" and not based on pot odds at all. He gave the example of there being $1000 in the pot on the river and his opponent bets $20 on the end, but TJ is "sure" that he's beaten (90% sure). TJ says that if he thinks he's beat then he would throw it away, even for $10.

My question is why is Negreanu telling us this story unless he's making fun of TJ, which he clearly wasn't? TJ is obviously either lying or he has been successful in spite of this terrible leak. Instead Negreanu was giving respect to TJ and the old school "feel" players while trying to disrespect the math players.

I know that Negreanu uses some math in his decisions, and will consider pot odds, because I've read some of his blog posts about hands he's played. But then he goes on these radio programs and basically lies and gives terrible examples to prove his vague claim that small ball is the infinitely superior strategy in almost every situation.

Based on results it appears that Negreanu is a better player than Sklansky and most of the math players that he bashes, but I am glad that I learned from Sklansky's teachings instead of DN or else I would be broke. If I was listening to DN then I would think it's profitable to raise 90% of hands at a full table as he claimed to do at the WSOP this year (something which I don't believe could ever be profitable). And I would fold hands with a 10% winning chance getting 100:1 pot odds just because I somehow mysteriously "know" that I'm beaten. I would make these plays because he taught me that math is wrong so I should just use my "feel" to make decisions so I can gamble my life away at the craps tables with TJ. Unlike that sucker "math player" Sklansky who uses logic to make decisions and mysteriously seems to win money every year without taking reckless gambles.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I consider myself a fan of Negreanu because he's a good player and he's Canadian so I always cheer for him when he's doing well in big events.

However lately I'm becoming more annoyed by his arrogant attitude. His tirades against "math players" are tiresome and they are never logical or well explained. This latest Circuit episode was a great example.

He tried to give examples of mistakes that "math players" make but none of them proved his contention that they make mistakes.

For example he told a story about something TJ Cloutier once taught him. TJ is of course a very succesful tournament player and Negreanu gave him respect for that. Then he said that TJ once told him that he "makes his decisions based on whether he thinks he's got him" and not based on pot odds at all. He gave the example of there being $1000 in the pot on the river and his opponent bets $20 on the end, but TJ is "sure" that he's beaten (90% sure). TJ says that if he thinks he's beat then he would throw it away, even for $10.

My question is why is Negreanu telling us this story unless he's making fun of TJ, which he clearly wasn't? TJ is obviously either lying or he has been successful in spite of this terrible leak. Instead Negreanu was giving respect to TJ and the old school "feel" players while trying to disrespect the math players.

I know that Negreanu uses some math in his decisions, and will consider pot odds, because I've read some of his blog posts about hands he's played. But then he goes on these radio programs and basically lies and gives terrible examples to prove his vague claim that small ball is the infinitely superior strategy in almost every situation.

Based on results it appears that Negreanu is a better player than Sklansky and most of the math players that he bashes, but I am glad that I learned from Sklansky's teachings instead of DN or else I would be broke. If I was listening to DN then I would think it's profitable to raise 90% of hands at a full table as he claimed to do at the WSOP this year (something which I don't believe could ever be profitable). And I would fold hands with a 10% winning chance getting 100:1 pot odds just because I somehow mysteriously "know" that I'm beaten. I would make these plays because he taught me that math is wrong so I should just use my "feel" to make decisions so I can gamble my life away at the craps tables with TJ. Unlike that sucker "math player" Sklansky who uses logic to make decisions and mysteriously seems to win money every year without taking reckless gambles.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFMFT.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:58 PM

I heard absolutely no dissing of Chen in the broadcast. If OP was just a troll ad for the broadcast, congrats, it worked.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:40 PM

hey guys i know lets keep DN involved in the 2p2 community by continually involving him in things that dont matter

on a seperate note, Chen's book is pretty good though text-bookish in reading appearance. he was cool in handing lots of em out this week at PCA

also, i saw daniel bald wearing a hat outside mama loo's. can we start a thread on that? wheee.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

also, i saw daniel bald wearing a hat outside mama loo's. can we start a thread on that? wheee.

[/ QUOTE ]

been there done that.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=1#Post8634672

I wasnt particularly happy to see his antics on HSP with Ming. Of course they are friends but it still comes off as low class on TV in my opinion.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is NVG's obsession with creating drama about DN by blowing things out of proportion? Every week it's like "LOOK WHAT HE SAID ABOUT RAYMER," now "LOOK OMG HE INTERRUPTED CHEN ONE TIME O THE HUMANITY."

[/ QUOTE ]

Next week DN makes fun of his own mother by calling her spaghetti "just ok."

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd never do that man, seriously, you must be crazy. That's a line you just don't cross!

As for Bill, what in the world did I say that would be offensive to his race? Are you serious? I like Bill and have known him for a long time. I also have fun with the show and when they ask me to be on it I do it if I can.

If you do a radio show where only one person talks while the others patiently wait and listen, you often don't end up with lively radio.

I never meant to be rude to Bill, it's just that when he was talking I had questions for him so I asked. I'll have to listen to the show later, but I didn't think I was being intrusive by not allowing him to say what he wanted to say. I was actually trying to help him along as he seemed a little bit nervous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Daniel, you would be the best Circuit co-host ever. Please consider doing it.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Daniel,

I realize you see yourself as a "joker" and you always like to "have a good time" with your friends, but don't you think imitating anyone who doesn't talk like you, when you talk to them, like you have routinely done with people for years now, is mockery?

If I ever meet you, I assumed it wouldn't bother you if I blatantly mocked you by talking like I was gay?

[/ QUOTE ]

If your imitiation sucked it would just bore me, but if you did a good one I would laugh right along with you.

I find politicial correctness offensive. As for offending people, I would never "mock" or mimick someone I didn't consider a friend. Bill is a good guy and he has a sense of humor. I don't think he was offended in the least. If he was, and said so, I would apologize to him and not do that to him again.

As for Ming, he is a buddy of mine also and we do that whole dialogue all the time. I rip on Scotty Nguyen even harder! I rip on Hellmuth, I rip on Ivey, Matusow, Juanda, Todd Brunson, Carlos Morensen, E-DOG, and pretty much any and all of my friends when I get a chance.

As for Asians, I just realized... dude, I married one! LOL, not that it would exclude me from being racist towards Asians, but man, most of my close friends from Toronto are either Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, Philippino, of Chinese. I needle them all the time and they get me back by calling me "Guoy Lo" or "White Boy."

People need to lighten up and not take themselves so seriously.