Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2007, 11:04 AM

Default Re: cooking fish

my favorite seasfood dish is fried tilapia:

after washing the fillet, season with Krazy Jane's Salt, Old Bay Seasoning, garlic powder, and pan searing flour (which gives it a light crust). put some olive oil in a pan and fry the fillet on medium heat for 3 minutes on each side. once golden brown, serve with salad, rice, and white wine.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:29 AM

This is really really easy and if you serve it to someone they'll be like "WFT are you a professional chef?"

[ QUOTE ]

1. Mix almonds, parsley, lemon peel, about 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper on plate. Place flour on another plate. Sprinkle salmon with salt and pepper. Dredge salmon in flour, shaking off excess. Lightly brush 1 side of salmon with beaten egg. Press brushed side of salmon into almond mixture, pressing lightly so that almond and seasoning mixture stick.
2. Heat 1-2 tablespoons oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add salmon to skillet, almond-coated side down, and cook until crust is brown, about 5 minutes. Turn salmon over. Sauté until salmon is cooked through and opaque in center, about 5 minutes. Transfer salmon to plates. Serve with lemon slices.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-10-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Another decent oven method is to place the fish on a piece of aluminium foil, season to taste (speck of olive oil, ground pepper, garlic, dash of lemon, whatever), wrap it in the foil so it's sealed then place it in the oven for 20 minutes. Delicious.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is definitely the easiest thing to do. I use parchment paper, but foil works well too. Put some herbs and a little onion on the foil/paper first, then place the salmon on top of it (so it doesn't stick). Then put whatever you want on top. I go salt, pepper, olive oil, garlic, red onions, lemon slices, dabs of butter, thyme, and some cayenne. After it's done after 20 minutes, I sprinkle some fresh parsley and voila!
Old 01-10-2007, 01:19 PM

I like to grill salmon. Assuming you have access to a grill...

Get something called, "herbs de province" and sprinkle liberally over the top. Add sea salt and black pepper and some sliced lemon. Grill for 15-25 mins, depending on the temp of the grill. After 15 mins, periodically check with a fork. Once the meat flakes easilly, it's done.

Salmon is so easy, it can be done several different ways. Same goes for most whitefish (talapia, cod, whatever). With fresh walleye, best is to bread it and fry it, same with trout and other fresh water fish.

Halibut is excellent when broiled.

And there is, of course, sushi. Most of the salt water fish is much better raw.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:43 PM

Salt and pepper, lightly flour, dip in egg, then dip in bread crumbs. Saute on medium heat in a little bit of butter or oil. Good with mashed potatoes and peas.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Salt and pepper, lightly flour, dip in egg, then dip in bread crumbs. Saute on medium heat in a little bit of butter or oil. Good with mashed potatoes and peas.

[/ QUOTE ]

is this for salmon?
Old 01-10-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

is this for salmon?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'd stick with a thin white filet.

You can make some kickass salmon steaks by slathering one side with mayo, then putting it on a grill, mayo side up, for a few minutes, then serving. That may or may not work well with a salmon filet.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:26 PM

The Monk fish was exeptionally good. I remebered that i'd had it at a restaurant years ago, saw it at Whole Foods, and went for it. with the recipe i was trying to duplicate the restaraunt meal, exept i think the restaurant used risotto.

Also, for sandwiches cajun seasoned catfish cooked in a frying pan is good.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my favorite seasfood dish is fried tilapia:

after washing the fillet, season with Krazy Jane's Salt, Old Bay Seasoning, garlic powder, and pan searing flour (which gives it a light crust). put some olive oil in a pan and fry the fillet on medium heat for 3 minutes on each side. once golden brown, serve with salad, rice, and white wine.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is good and pretty easy to do. I haven't bought any in a while, but I remember tilapia being fairly cheap too.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another decent oven method is to place the fish on a piece of aluminium foil, season to taste (speck of olive oil, ground pepper, garlic, dash of lemon, whatever), wrap it in the foil so it's sealed then place it in the oven for 20 minutes. Delicious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go to an asian supermarket and buy a banana leaf and wrap it instead of using foil, works good with fish with very mild taste like tuna or seabass.

Whenever i cant think of a good sauce for fish i make a butter+ fruit sauce, leave butter out at room temperature until soft then mash kiwi or mango or strawberry and mix into butter put the butter in freezer a few minutes then when fish is ready put a tablespoon on top of fish.