Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2007, 04:39 PM

Default Re: A hypothetical... best way to proceed.

I advocated just the completion myself, with an occasional raise if I know my opponents well. One critiquer gave him all kinds of flack for not raising here, which I still don't agree with. Here's how it unfolded, pretty crazy to be honest(the limping hands and the outcomes).

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is SB with :t :9
2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO calls, Button checks, Hero completes, BB checks

Flop: (5 players) [J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] Hero checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, CO bets $1.25, Button raises $2.50, Hero calls, BB folds, MP1 calls, CO raises $10, Button folds, Hero raises all-in $23.65, MP1 calls $21.15, CO calls all-in $9.35.

Turn: (3 Players) 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
River: (3 players) 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Result: (3 players) Hero shows 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Straight Jack high, MP1 shows A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Straight Jack high, CO shows J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Straight Jack high

Just an extremely strange hand overall, w/the JJ and AK [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] BOTH limping in. The hero in follow up discussion seemed to get the biggest brunt of the flack from one guy for NOT raising the suited connector OOP. Was told he played it horribly [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Was told he played it horribly [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
By the guys with JJ and AKs? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Think hero will see a flop after raising here?
Take any advice at the 25NL tables with dollops of salt. If they're good enough to coach why are they still playing micros? [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2007, 04:59 PM

Actually the discussion was in a different forum. The hero posted it as one of the craziest hands he'd ever been involved in and a member went on a tirade about how badly he played it, specifically by not raising to gain info prfelop. In this situation with the number of active players, IMO, would have basically just been a bluff/semi-bluff OOP.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a member went on a tirade about how badly he played it, specifically by not raising to gain info prfelop.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's retarded. Completing is so standard it's not even worth talking about.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:25 PM

The hand is a pretty good example why you complete.
Flop the straight and other players that hit the flop somehow will get their money in regardless. No need to raise up front OOP.
Raising will take down the pot sometiomes but this strongly depends on players and image. I'm willing to say that at those tables the raise doesn't take down the money preflop very often. Add to it that people limp good hands sometimes and you are OOP and I don't see a reason to raise here.

But say you play 6max on the button with this hand and one limper from EP I'm raising it up to 5xBB almost 100% of the time.

Maybe I'm not too objective because I'm playing at tables were I stack ppl with AJ on this kind of flop.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
a member went on a tirade about how badly he played it, specifically by not raising to gain info prfelop.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's retarded. Completing is so standard it's not even worth talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, it was talked about, and talked about and then talked about some more, lol. Here's the thread for your reading enjoyment.

http://pokerforums.fulltiltpoker.com...04&start=0
Old 01-07-2007, 05:40 PM

That is a crazy hand...but our hero is the only one who played it "correctly", if there is such a thing. but the preflop limp by ak was nowhere nearly as bad as the limp with jacks. He is crazy lucky he didn't get stacked.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:33 PM

Like I've been fighting for with this hand for days at FT is that calling is the best play here.

Now I have a hypothetical change to this, which has been part of my argument to the poster arguing for a raise. this hand was played in a ring game where most of the stacks were around 100BBs. The poster arguing for the raise was primarily a tournament player. If this hand was ina tournament and the stacks were smaller say stacks between 10-25 BBs typical of middle tournaments, would the advice be different? Would a raise be appropriate here or a fold?
Old 01-10-2007, 07:58 AM

I happened to be the hero in this hand. Looking back on it I should have led out on the flop, but as far as the arguement went on the other forum about the preflop play, it was just a guy that won't admit he doesn't know how to admit he is wrong. The same guy who was advocating raising from the SB also caps with 33 in the BB after 2 EP players and the button 3bet in the FLHE level of a HORSE game.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The same guy who was advocating raising from the SB also caps with 33 in the BB after 2 EP players and the button 3bet in the FLHE level of a HORSE game.

[/ QUOTE ]
PLEASE do not argue with him about this [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]