Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2007, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Not wanting to go to sleep

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
El D,
I think that what helps me is waking up super early with no opportunity to roll over and go back to sleep. Then, you're so exhausted that you're DREAMing (i'm so punny!!) of bed by 10p, and you can't function watching boring TV super late.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even being on 2 hours of sleep I won't go to bed any earlier.

When I get on a weird sleep pattern I will normally be dog tired around 5 or 6pm, but by 10pm I will get a surge of energy that will keep me up past 2am.

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread rocks. It's nice to know that other people do the same stupid, borderline crazy stuff I do.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fp,

"I think that what helps me is waking up super early with no opportunity to roll over and go back to sleep. Then, you're so exhausted that you're DREAMing (i'm so punny!!) of bed by 10p, and you can't function watching boring TV super late."

Unfortunately, and I think most who share this problem with me will agree, that is not enough to overcome it.

[/ QUOTE ]
truth
Old 01-09-2007, 08:48 PM

I'll throw my hat in the ring on this as well.

I have two theories for why I do mindlessly boring things instead of going to sleep...even when I'm tired.

A) Laying in bed thinking about my problems, my frustrations and irritations through the day, why i said this instead of that when i was talking to so and so, etc is brutal. 3 minutes of lying there with my thoughts feels like an eternity...so i do mindless things until my mind is so full of crap that I can fall asleep before my brain gets back to my issues.

B) As soon as I fall asleep; it will feel like only a moment has passed...and I've got to get up and get back to work. If I avoid sleeping; I get that much more free time.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alright, a couple of things first...

1) I love sleeping. When I can sleep in, I love sleeping a long time. I love naps. Generally, I think sleeping rules.

2) I have no trouble falling asleep. I fall asleep great at night. I get on a plane, I can fall right asleep. I actually have trouble falling asleep when in bed w/ someone new, but that's a whole different topic.

So, on to the main topic.

It is often SUPER HARD for me to make myself go to sleep. Like, to actually get in bed. Now, once I do, no problems going to sleep. I usually read for half an hour, then quickly fall asleep. And I love it.

But up until that point, I will do just about anything to keep from going to sleep. Surf the web. Watch crappy whatever on TV. Play Flash games. Chat w/ random people. Go through email. Read some blogs. Sometimes I will do this even when insanely tired. During the weekdays it's not that big a deal because I always have something in the morning and I can make myself go to sleep by a certain cutoff based on when I know I need to get up. But when I don't need to get up the next day, I will often waste a number of hours doing ridiculous crap at the tail end of my day that would be SO SO SO much better spent either sleeping or doing stuff earlier the next day.

How many of you have this same problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an enormous problem in my life. huge.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even being on 2 hours of sleep I won't go to bed any earlier.

When I get on a weird sleep pattern I will normally be dog tired around 5 or 6pm, but by 10pm I will get a surge of energy that will keep me up past 2am.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is exactly how i am. during the week i have to wake up at 6am and i never get to sleep before 2am. i would say i average about 3 hours a sleep per night during the week. on the weekends i will get about 10hours a night.

i usually crash around 5pm but regain most of my energy after i lift at around 8 or 9. i stay in excellent shape so maybe that helps. also, i havent had a drop of caffeine in problably 10 years.

im in college and, like others have said, i feel like i cant miss out on free time. its almost like i am forcing my self to stay awake, but im not consciously saying "well i better not go to sleep because i might miss out on something". it just kind of happens.

great topic el d.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:02 PM

Maybe some kind of psychological reason - something like you are not happy with the productivity of the day, so you don't want the day to get recorded as "done", so you keep it going.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do the same thing. I hate sleeping though. I mean I like the feeling of being refreshed from sleeping but wasting time sleeping suck imo. When I have nothing to do the next day, I sometimes stay up all night for no reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uberman Sleep Schedule.

Thank me later.

I have the exact same problem as everyone else in this thread. I'm planning to get up at 8AM tomorrow and was going to go to bed at 12AM but I'm still up.

It's really weird because it's so hard to get me out of bed in the morning.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:49 PM

I told my friends on msn at 12:30 that I was going to bed, and I genuinely intended to. It is now 1:45 and I am reading posts on 2+2 purely for the sake of it.

I have always had this problem.

At school I used to stay up watching tv till 2/3am as standard and be shattered basically every day.

At uni I used to do 'all-nighters' with flatmates for no reason other than we were bashing mariokart 64 or some ps2. I rarely went to uni because of this.

Now, as I rarely have anything I have to get up for, I generally find myself staying up later and later every day, till it gets to the point where I am seeing very little daylight. At this point I get frustrated with myself and pull an all-nighter in order to go to bed at about 10pm the next day. This fixes my sleep pattern to "normal person" mode for about a week, then I lapse back into the cycle of sleeping a little later every day.

This 6 day week thing sounds like it could work....
Old 01-09-2007, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe some kind of psychological reason - something like you are not happy with the productivity of the day, so you don't want the day to get recorded as "done", so you keep it going.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this to be so. On days where I don't do [censored], I can't sleep. I also have major insomnia/anxiety, which I think has something to do with it in this case. I take sleeping aids for this reason.

Here are some helpful nonpharmacological interventions that help for me:

-Ambient noisemaker
-Blocking all light sources/minimizing environmental stimuli
-Keep a notepad and notebook by the bedside. Notepad for jotting down tasks racing through the mind and notebooks for journaling for when you have serious [censored] on your mind.
-Use of sleep timers on TV, auto-shutdown progs for computers. Removing your conscious decisions from the sleeping process help facilitate a sleep signaling routine.
-If you have health insurance, visit a therapist. They can help you to develop a sleep routine that can help you to will your conscious from racing.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:24 PM

I'm like this also.