Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2007, 06:20 PM

Default 50NL JJ rr pot turn decision

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($121.95)
BB ($34.95)
UTG ($34.75)
MP ($78.40)
Hero ($50.75)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls $5.

Flop: ($14.75) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($14.75) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero ???

---

Villian is an unknown.

Do you bet the turn here, or check it, and why?
Old 01-09-2007, 06:30 PM

Default Re: 50NL JJ rr pot turn decision

I think you should have bet the flop. The question is, how much? Let's consider what he might hold

A usual UTG raising range includes a lot of big and suited cards, which connect well with this board in a few different ways.

If he has a suited connector (not diamonds) or a low pp, he likely missed and is folding to either bet.

If he has a flush draw, we want to price him out of drawing profitably. Are you willing to check the turn behind and/or fold to another diamond? I would be willing on this board, since there is a chance he has a Q. So effectively, we cut down his implied odds, so we should not have to bet a huge amount. Also, he will call regardless with a Q, so I favor a lower bet as well. I think a flop bet of around 2/3 pot does the trick.

Given your action, I would bet 1/2 of the pot on the turn. I don't like giving free cards, and this pot looks like its up for grabs, so take it.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:31 PM

I would probably bet that turn - probably half pot. While it might have been 99-AA preflop or AJs-AK. I would say most likely AK or AJ. he might be trapping with a Q or a big pair but I don't see that many people check twice. they usually bet out to see where they are. Of course not that I am thinking more about it.. Maybe a check on the turn and call on the river. no, I want to know where we are. bet.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:54 PM

I agree with five, I think if you want to bet this the flop is the place to bet. The way you played with pot makes your hand look very stong, if you get called on the flop you will know you are toast and you can get rid of it later instead of giving a free chance to draw out. If you are willing to bluff the turn, might as well bluff on the flop.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:17 PM

Since you've both shown weakness (failure to make CB, define hand on flop), I think you check it here. Hard to know iIf he's trapping (set of 10's--3's seem odd--maybe AQ, QQ) or drawing (to flush, AK) buts something smells "fishy."

A 1/2 to pot sized bet by you now could take it down, but I'd rather give a free card here than lay the odds to this board.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:25 PM

Bet about $12 on the flop. If called shut down. As played I bet about 2/3 pot on the turn and hope to take it down. I also don't minding checking behind here and calling a reasonable bet on a non-diamond non-broadway river.