Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2007, 06:04 PM

Default Bad month at AP

Can anyone else on AP playing $.50/$1 tell me that they are having a bad month? I play my "A" game and can't seem to make the $$$. For example: i have AA UTG, i raise, i get 3 callers. board comes J62 rainbow. I bet, two call. K, still no two-suited, i bet, two calls again. river is 3, i bet. get one caller calling down with 63o. I see this time and again. it's really frustrating. i suppose it's a bad run, but i stopped trying to bluff these players, it worked for a time, but still these value bets are getting called down by too many players. it is like i have to beat 3 people instead of one. should i try to go for check-raises on the turn? should i keep playing my A-game and not worry about the variance?
Old 01-09-2007, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Bad month at AP

[ QUOTE ]
these value bets are getting called down by too many players.

[/ QUOTE ]
A+
Old 01-09-2007, 06:11 PM

Win money, not pots.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:12 PM

How to win at poker:

Think
Plan
Play
Review
Discuss
Rinse
Repeat

Notice the lack of bitching.

The hand in your post is std.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:12 PM

Yes keep playing your A game, examine your play and post here.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:19 PM

These are GOOD responses. Thanks. I guess I still have a lot to learn, especially on how to be patient.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:51 PM

This is the 9th day of the month. I play AP 2/4. So far in the last 9 days I have been up 75BB and am currently down 125BB. This is the variance/swings/ whatever of short handed. Shrug it off and don't look at results, look at your play. Bring your A game and the variance will even out. From experience I have had to learn not to play scared on a downswing. I have also learned that you might in a rare instance bluff one player in small stakes but rarely 2 and never someone with a high VPIP and go to SD #. I don't often semi-bluff but I do bet for value. Do I get sucked out on? Of course. But I also have trained the opp. to call me dowen a lot mor often so that when I do hit I hit big. I actually would rather have the player at the table who bts everything to SD. Over time he will lose and lose big.

If you do not have PT and some sort of HUD get it.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:56 PM

I'm using PAHUD and have PT. How much should I rely on those stats and what minimum of hands played do you accredit and play accordingly to the players? Also, I was trying to use a hand converter to convert hands that I can post, but it doesn't seem to convert it properly. Can I use the hands for AP from my PT HH? What parameters do I enter for the hand options?
Old 01-09-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm using PAHUD and have PT. How much should I rely on those stats and what minimum of hands played do you accredit and play accordingly to the players? Also, I was trying to use a hand converter to convert hands that I can post, but it doesn't seem to convert it properly. Can I use the hands for AP from my PT HH? What parameters do I enter for the hand options?

[/ QUOTE ]

I use http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter/ to convert AP hands. I copy and paste the hands from PT.

I rely on the stats primarily for VPIP info and to a lesser degree how often they go to SD. You see a lot of the same players at AP low limits, (or at least I do), so I do get a feel for them. There are some players I know are raising with the goods because they are TAG and others I know are kidding me. However, even the maniac with an 80VPIP will hit a monster or just suck out. The hardest thing really and truly for me is learning not to play scared when I'm losing and to keep betting good hands for value. I've had sessions where I did not hit a draw and every AA, KK, QQ, AK AQ etc, lost. It's a short term statistical fluke. Everyone on this site has had sessions like this. Sometimes when I'm having a bad run and feel like I might be tilting or getting weak(scared) I'll quit for a few days and get my equlibrium back.

I also would rec. Stoxtrader coaching videos. Well worth the $20 a month. I just signed up and it made me think about some things I hadn't been really been focsing on.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How to win at poker:

Think
Plan
Play
Review
Discuss
Rinse
Repeat

Notice the lack of bitching.