Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2007, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Any winning poker players here that also win at sports?

Isn't the rumor that Chip Reese has made more betting sports than playing poker?

A related question to the OOP's question - do you think that current top cash game poker players make more than the top sports bettors?
Old 01-09-2007, 12:27 PM

I have beat poker (and lived off it) for almost 3 years now, and, in my first year betting sports am also up. My record for the year is 196-153 with 11 pushes (also some money lines and futures that are not included in the record). In all, I ended 39.4 Units up (not including bonuses, which probably put me close to 50 unites up). My units were VERY small, for being my first year with this, I was doing it more for fun than to make money.

I do not handicap games but rather coattail a number of free pickers, including some from this site. Luck seems to have played a pretty big role for me this year, for I would follow many of MTTR and Iggy's picks, but actually did, I believe, better than them record wise. The reason? Shear luck, I would stay off of the games when the line moved against what they picked. For example if they had MI at -8 and I could find them at no better than -8.5, I didn't play it. I also followed some picks on a few websites.

To Iggy and MyTurn2raise, thank you for your picks this year, of the over 300 picks I bet this year, probably 80% of them were from your picks. I also followed Silentbobs props, so a thank you to you too.

Peace
Old 01-09-2007, 03:34 PM

i make my living gambling on poker and sports. in the 15 months i've bet sports, i've had two main struggles balancing the two:

-focusing on the one i am doing. for a long time i would play poker but still hunt for bets. i wouldn't properly prepare myself for a poker session, i would just spontaneously hop into it when betting slowed down. i would never find my A game on those days.
-for a year my sports bet size was much smaller than my poker stakes. when i would bet all day long my pain threshhold for poker got completely ruined, and for awhile this fall (when focusing on football) i was playing lower stakes poker than i should've just to keep my head straight.

lately i am doing better with balance because:

-i seperate the two activities. i have a routine. i wake up around noon, do errands if there are any, then i spend the afternoon and evening watching the market and getting down on bets. around 9pm EST i stop betting, stop checking the scores, and take a break. a little later i begin playing poker.
-my bet size in sports is now commensurate with poker. some days i lose/win more at sports than poker. my pain threshhold is growing.
-i don't spend too much time capping one game, or get so involved in one bet i have to watch the game.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:28 PM

I'm ahead playing poker and betting sports.

It's way easier finding bad poker players than it is finding good sports bets.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:44 PM

NFL -104 lines at pinny you only need to beat 51%, for example.

And to be 95% confident, you would need a lot of trials, but since darts will pick 50%, if you can add *any* handicapping skill 1 of 50 games, you will be a winner at pinny.

Bonus clearing at vip and bodog with 20% depo and 10% redepo just find middles and arbs and you literally cannot lose if you are patient.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:45 PM

Naj,

NFL markets are so razor sharp by closing. GL even making that on Sunday mornings.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:50 PM

You can certainly make 51%+ winners off the opening lines. The null hypothesis is 50%. Weeks 1-2 and 16-17 there are plenty of miscapped games, like week 17 GB+3 this year & ATL +9 when PHL was going to clinch due to Dallas loss, and Rams ML +410 last year v Dallas, etc.

Plus big anti-public picks like U51 on Colts last week.

If you only did 20 games a year, did one better than coin-flip -- and went 11-9 that's 55%.

BSPs thread is 6-1 this year. Holla.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:57 PM

No doubt you can crush openers for that much, but what about when you step on the wrong side of the opener?

If it was ever so easy to crush NFL football, there'd be a lot less books like Pinny and a lot more retirees.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:01 PM

funny, I said >51%, and YOU said
'ever so easy to crush NFL football,'

They are not the same. Do you see why?
Old 01-09-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
funny, I said >51%, and YOU said
'ever so easy to crush NFL football,'

They are not the same. Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering you could manage a 1% ROI on your bets and you'd bet Kelly... How many years before you'd have enough of a roll to slam lines and crush them?