Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2007, 02:51 PM

Default Early position raises

Is it best to raise 3 x Big Blind in early position with a premium hand so as not to commit too many chips as im out of position OR, raise 5 x Big Blind (or more) to limit the competition? i know i should mix it up etc - this refers to sit n gos low levels. i haven't posted on the 1 table forum as its really a beginners question. The same applies for late position, raise more etc. i understand it depends on the table and opponents and so on, just a general guide would be usefull - thank you.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Early position raises

General rule of thumb: With a premium hand, bet as much as you think they'll call, but no less than 3 x BBL.

In a live $1-2 game where $20 raises are the norm, unless they've pegged you as tight, raise to $20.

You have an edge, even OOP. Push it. If you feel lost at sea OOP when AK misses or KK "attracts" a flop ace, then work on your postflop play, but don't stop pushing preflop edges because you fear postflop.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Early position raises

The worst thing you can do is to always bet more when you have a good hand. The second worse thing you can do is to always bet more when you have a marginal hand. (Actually, I might have that backwards)

When you bet early like UTG, there is no need to crank it up because the fact that you are betting early is a good indicator that you have a big hand. I generally bet the standard for the table when early regardless of my hand. However, the standard is not always 3x so keep that in mind. And I generally bet a little more than standard late to reduce the odds for BB who might call with a wider range.

As well, late in tourneys with bigger blinds and antes I might revert to 2.5x which is usually enough to accomplish my intentions.