Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2007, 03:26 PM

Default Hoosier Hold\'em?

Hope this is the correct forum. I was recently introduced to "Hoosier Hold'em" and am looking for some strategy feedback. This may be a unique game to this group I play with or may be known under a different name. The game is a flop game with 5 cards on the board like texas hold'em. Like TE, there are 4 rounds of betting.
Each player is dealt 5 cards. One may keep between 2 and 5 cards or fold. It is a split pot Hi/Lo game. Whichever cards you keep, they must all be in play and the appropriate number of cards is borrowed from the board to make the best 5 card hand. For example, if a player keeps 3 cards, they can only play 2 from the board. If a player keeps 5, no cards are borrowed.
This is truly a game of incomplete information. From my limited experience of two bloody sessions, it seems as if going for the low is easy but one must play very tight and selective when chasing the high. By the number of cards the villians retain, you can put them on a hand. Often it seems the more the cards, a low chase is likely. However, I have seen a hand where the villain had JJ88 and a J hit the flop for a disguised boat.
Any strategy advice for this game?
Old 01-05-2007, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Hoosier Hold\'em?

When does the discarding take place??
Is there a qualifier for low??

In any case, a game like this(Hi-lo split) requires you to chase Ace high flushes. That's the first tip at the moment.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

In any case, a game like this(Hi-lo split) requires you to chase Ace high flushes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't get too hasty about this. A hand like A23s is still a really good hand, but I wouldn't expect a flush to win very often if you're playing with more than four players or so.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:26 PM

DIscards are made before the flop and first round of betting. When the betting takes place you state how many cards retained.
The high hands are usually very strong, full houses or better when with 6 to 8 players.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

In any case, a game like this(Hi-lo split) requires you to chase Ace high flushes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't get too hasty about this. A hand like A23s is still a really good hand, but I wouldn't expect a flush to win very often if you're playing with more than four players or so.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol smartypants!!
Do you know hi-lo split??? The most important question - which the OP has not answered - is if there is a qualifier for low. If there is no qualifier, then your post is pure rubbish.

If there is the "8 or better" qualifier, then low hands become a little harder to come by. But not significantly in a game like this. 6 lows become more common. Wheels are not uncommon. The idea of trying for an wheel/Ace flush is paramount.
High hands can battle it out with their trips and whatever. We will be happy with cinch half-pot for low, with the occasional freeroll for the scoop.

Give me A23s every time and deal the rest randomly as normal, and I will break every player in this game!!
Old 01-09-2007, 03:05 AM

There is a low qualifier of 8 or better. However, the nature of number of cards in one's hands, the low is always in play. The only sitiuation a low does not occur if there is just one or maybe two low cards and these counterfeit the cards the low chasers have.
I agree with Harmonica that chasing the low is more of a sure thing than the high.