Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2007, 12:52 PM

Default Table Selection - What to Look For?

Given the recent discussion in another post about the importance of table selection, I would like to know what characteristics you look for in a table at the micros level. Is high % to flop most important? Average pot size? Or is it more important to look for players that you have played against and have good reads and/or good PT stats on? What else am I missing? Since table selection seems more and more important, even at the micros, I want to make sure I'm getting off to the best start possible before I even sit down. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Table Selection - What to Look For?

At Stars I look at vpip. Higher the better. It's not like the good ol days at Party where there were tables that were too loose to sit at. I'm very happy if I see something over 35%. I don't look at pot size.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At Stars I look at vpip. Higher the better. It's not like the good ol days at Party where there were tables that were too loose to sit at. I'm very happy if I see something over 35%. I don't look at pot size.

[/ QUOTE ]

A follow-up question - is there any distinction as you go up in levels? I understand that % to flop will/should go down as the levels increase, but is % to flop, higher the better, the main thing to look for at any level?
Old 01-08-2007, 01:05 PM

Someone who plays higher than .10/.20 and .25/.50 will need to speak to that, but I'm imagining that you would always pick a 30 vpip over a 20 vpip table.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At Stars I look at vpip. Higher the better.

[/ QUOTE ]

If i have to pick between 2 tables with similar vpip, i use pot size. higher the better
Old 01-08-2007, 01:45 PM

grunch

high percentage to the flop = lots of loose players, i look for 50% + (mind you i do play the lowest micro limit available)

if the average pot size is around 10 BB then most likely the loose players are going too far with weak holdings

if the average pot is around 5 BB then they're folding their holdings to reasonable amounts of aggression (don't go bluff crazy here but you can play your marginal hands more aggressively)

it's very helpful to take notes on tough opponents every time you're at a table to break down their style of play in addition to pt stats
Old 01-08-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
At Stars I look at vpip. Higher the better.

[/ QUOTE ]

If i have to pick between 2 tables with similar vpip, i use pot size. higher the better

[/ QUOTE ]

so do I.

I think there's no better way to handle it in the micros.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Someone who plays higher than .10/.20 and .25/.50 will need to speak to that, but I'm imagining that you would always pick a 30 vpip over a 20 vpip table.

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course!
Nothing changes above this limit.
A below 30% table isnt worth grinding at.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A follow-up question - is there any distinction as you go up in levels? I understand that % to flop will/should go down as the levels increase, but is % to flop, higher the better, the main thing to look for at any level?

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember at pokerroom that the 3/6 tables were often significantly looser than the 1/2 tables. But, you will also encounter players who play better postflop.

Right now I mainly play stars... I look at "players to the flop," hands per hour, and pot size. If HPH is high(>90) and players to the flop is also high, the table has probably just started up and the lobby stats may not reflect the game as it fills up. However, since waiting lists at tables with VPIP's greater than 25% are often several players long and by the time you get on the table the fish are often gone, sitting at a new table is not so bad.

I think a more important thing to learn is to leave a table if it is bad or your seat is bad.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember at pokerroom that the 3/6 tables were often significantly looser than the 1/2 tables. But, you will also encounter players who play better postflop.

Right now I mainly play stars... I look at "players to the flop," hands per hour, and pot size. If HPH is high(>90) and players to the flop is also high, the table has probably just started up and the lobby stats may not reflect the game as it fills up. However, since waiting lists at tables with VPIP's greater than 25% are often several players long and by the time you get on the table the fish are often gone, sitting at a new table is not so bad.

I think a more important thing to learn is to leave a table if it is bad or your seat is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I mostly play short handed, but start by looking at players to the flop and pot size on tables that I can jump in right away. I don't want to have to wait because the table dynamic will probably change by the time I sit down. That's true for most tables though. The stats usually only go a few hands back (I don't know how many for sure.) Often though, if a seat is open and the table has good stats, the action guy just left. I reevaluate when I sit down. I usually play a couple orbits and get a feel for the table. If it's folded to the button or blinds every hand I'll leave. I want the table to be multiway and passive, or even have a bunch of LAGs going too far. I also want position on the players making the most mistakes.