Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2007, 12:15 PM

Default Re: True, I could use some help here.

I'm not sure why everyone is saying this is fine, there is no way I check this flop with JJ. With AA and KK I check it a lot, but with JJ, its just bad. Any A,K, or Q either kills your hand or you action, and you already have a murky idea of where you are at, and if villian is aggressive you may get yourself pushed off the hand. Against a lot of regulars you can occassionally play AA like this and you wouldn't believe what kind of stuff pushes the turn., to push you off your weak made hand..
Old 01-08-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Blindly betting every flop after reraising pf is a pretty damn big leak imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. It is extremely hard to play against.

[/ QUOTE ]

its worse to bet after every time you pfr raise, rather than every time you pfrr.

ness
Old 01-08-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
jay,

maybe you dont realise how much straate is killing the MSNl/HSNL games?

[/ QUOTE ]

???

Daniel Negraneau has made tens of millions of dollars through poker, yet he frequently gets called a fish on these board? Go figure. Just because someone is a winning player does not mean we should blindly copy every play they make without question.

[/ QUOTE ]

jay,

I'm not sure that you quite comprehend how well straate is doing in teh MSNL/HSNL games.

Maybe you should look at their cheese thread and check it out? It might well help you understand poker better
Old 01-08-2007, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This isn't really about balancing play its about maximising EV. Betting pretty much turns our hand into a bluff vs this guy imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

but you're going to want to bet with air!
Old 01-08-2007, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. It is extremely easy to play against.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Def man. Why don't you go sit with lolotricked/bld/empiremaker
Old 01-08-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would imagine they dont bet 100% of the time after re-raising

also, if you give a man a fishing rod he doesn't automatically become an expert fisherman
Old 01-08-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dissagree, any decent aggro player with AK will multibarrel often here, the flop check call says I either have <QQ, A monster or AK, if villain thinks you can fold <QQ & AK a bet is often correct.

If you dont feel your bluff catcher is strong enough to catch a bluff you are probably better leading the flop, even if the only hands that will fold are hands you beat anyway, as you do have reasonable fold equity but by just calling you have very little showdown equity, you are relying on your opponent both having AK and not firing a second barrel.

Of course there are metagame adjustments you can make to reduce the success of villains firing the turn as a bluff but they all involve playing strong hands more passively to stop your mediocre hands getting run over, do this to much and your game will spiral into a situation where you can value bet very little because no observant player will give you action.

Dont get me wrong, there are situations where check call is a good option, but thats usually when you can call a second bet, you do so to invite a bluff, not hope they dont make it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I dont think it is that way. The "decent, aggro" players you are talking about that are capable of multibarreling are probably also capable of trying to take the pot away from you when you bet the flop.

I think you´re reasoning is fairly logical here but with JJ we have a quite good equity against his range and therefore I dont want to turn our hand into a bluff even If i´m not planning calling down three streets. We can not assume that an unknown will multibarrel us in a 3-bet pot and therefore I think we can fold the turn comfortably if he fires again.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would imagine they dont bet 100% of the time after re-raising

also, if you give a man a fishing rod he doesn't automatically become an expert fisherman

[/ QUOTE ]

No they don't. But they bet much more often than checking. The point is that it is a very difficult style to play against. You basically have to make hands because your stack is at risk in every hand.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:41 PM

For those taking the c/c, c/f line,

What's your postflop line with 88? Please ignore pf as I know it sucks with 88, but the 3-bet size sucks in this particular hand anyway. Humor me.

db,

I don't understand your sarcastic tone concerning straate. Please include your thoughts on the actual hand.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:53 PM

FWIF i use this strategy too and to do it well, you have to be able to make big calls. to a lot of players it looks like you have AK (yes, amazingly lots of players will get pissed when they miss the flop and call a CB with AK high). so it really depends on my opponent--if my opponent is the type capable of making big bluffs, i'll call this turn and c/c almost any river; however, if my opponent is tight, i might even fold the flop (and definitely the turn).