Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2007, 10:14 AM

Default Re: I gets tricksy.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like preflop, thats about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine what problem you have with the flop call.

[/ QUOTE ]

When a tight player coldcalls your preflop raise from the SB and then donks a Queen high drawless flop into 2 people, he is gonna have Qx or better too often to make the flop peel +EV IMO. So I would fold the flop.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:47 AM

I don't like the flop peel.

Turn/river is meh. I think I used to like this more, but I have started to think that we lose too much when our opponent is just being timid and wants to see a cheap-as-possible showdown. It goes check-check, check-bet-call on the turn and river far too often, and a huge amount of those times it would have gone check-bet-call, check-bet-call if you hadn't gotten tricky.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:21 PM

"Villian is 25/15/2 WtSD 34/52 over 1100 hands and possibly a 2+2er."

This guy is a tight solid player? 85% of the time I'm folding to his flop bet, 15% I'm calling depending on whether I feel like gambling. If I do see the flop and hit the Ace I'm not slowplaying, I'm betting out. Good players don't get free cards. If he raises I'm calling. And I'm not counting on him betting into me on the river with an Ace on board if he only has a Q.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:49 PM

LIke others said, fold the flop. On this board you probably only have 3 Ace outs (plus your BD flush draw) and there is some chance you are reverse-dominated by AQ.

Against a thinking player a turn check could sometimes get you an extra bet here from someone who is prepared to check-fold the turn. If you had raised UTG or UTG+1 your hand looks a lot like a big Ace after your flop call and I could see a 2p2er give up, even with a hand like QJ. In that instance, giving a free card is not so bad if you can geenrate an extra river ebt from villain. However, here you raised from CO so your range is a lot broader. If villain has Qx, as is likely, his turn check is likely a defensive check meaning he wants to show down but not risk gettign raised on the turn and facing a tough decision. From his view point you may just be planning to call him down with medium pairs. He can't assume your flop call means Ax. So, he wants to get to showdown cheaply after the Ace falls. In that case, you miss too much value in not betting both the turn and river.

As played, I don't raise the river even if SB obliges us by betting. I don't think you get a call often enough from hands you beat from a good player.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:11 PM

Normally I would say the flop call is fine, and I myself would raise sometimes as well but given te read a fold is probably best with a call being a close second. Also just bet the damn turn and then bet the river and move on to the next hand. This is a severe case of fancy play syndrome.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:45 PM

His tightness probably does favour Qx more than anything else preflop. But I think that he c/r's this board with Qx a lot more than he donks it.
Considering the donk, I did think that 7s/A3s and some other PP, that I have 6 full outs against, made up a reasonable portion of his range.
If I stick with the above range I've probably got about 5-8.5 outs with the two BD draws. So it probably is a little loose but my gut was already saying I was more towards the top end of the scale after his donk.

When we got to the turn and he checks, I thought there was a distinct possibility of him c/f'ing a decent portion of his holdings on the turn (maybe even some Qs). His flop donk, turn check line really made me think he was trying to get away from his hand cheaply. Which I didn't want.

He bet the river, I raised and he called.

He had QJ and I probably made no more or less had I played it any other way.

Given the advice in this thread, this will probably be the first and last time I use this play.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
His tightness probably does favour Qx more than anything else preflop. But I think that he c/r's this board with Qx a lot more than he donks it.
Considering the donk, I did think that 7s/A3s and some other PP, that I have 6 full outs against, made up a reasonable portion of his range.
If I stick with the above range I've probably got about 5-8.5 outs with the two BD draws. So it probably is a little loose but my gut was already saying I was more towards the top end of the scale after his donk.

When we got to the turn and he checks, I thought there was a distinct possibility of him c/f'ing a decent portion of his holdings on the turn (maybe even some Qs). His flop donk, turn check line really made me think he was trying to get away from his hand cheaply. Which I didn't want.

He bet the river, I raised and he called.

He had QJ and I probably made no more or less had I played it any other way.

Given the advice in this thread, this will probably be the first and last time I use this play.

[/ QUOTE ]

good flop call