Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2007, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Playing Overcards

Nice hand.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Playing Overcards Why is 1.8% AF Huge?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This guy seems loose/passive enough to fold to on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

uhm this guy is about as aggro as they get 1.4 agression factor is HUGE with 80v$ip

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll admit that I don't always understand everything I look at with PT. Why is this a huge AF with 80v$ip? My own stats are 25/13/1.98 and I seem less agg. then many of my opp.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:59 AM

Bandit,

The main point is that, the more hands you play, in order to keep a moderate/high agg. factor you need to be playing aggressively in many more marginal spots. The extra hands that the 80 vpip guy is playing are almost all, by definition, marginal ones. For him to be almost as aggressive as you, that means he's being aggressive on a high proportion of those marginal hands. Usually, it'll also means he's playing tons of hands you'd play less aggressively more aggressively; those spots are, after all, better than many of the other trashy ones he finds himself.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uhm this guy is about as aggro as they get 1.4 agression factor is HUGE with 80v$ip

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll admit that I don't always understand everything I look at with PT. Why is this a huge AF with 80v$ip? My own stats are 25/13/1.98 and I seem less agg. then many of my opp.

[/ QUOTE ]
AF is a averaged over all streets (not sure if it's weighted or not). Since this guy is limping 80% but only raising 4% preflop his pf aggression is extremly low. He has to have very high post-flop aggression stats to make a 1.5 total AF.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
AF is a averaged over all streets (not sure if it's weighted or not). Since this guy is limping 80% but only raising 4% preflop his pf aggression is extremly low. He has to have very high post-flop aggression stats to make a 1.5 total AF.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats very true actually i didnt even think about that. with a 4 pfr hes probably playing like 2-3 af with all those marginal bottom 50% of his range hands
Old 01-08-2007, 12:40 PM

I like to minimize my exploitability in low board situations when I have overcards.

Because most "accepted" pf strategies include an over abundance of high cards vs pairs, it is generally correct for the blinds to steal with many cards on low flops, x% of the time.
If you are folding ALL your ace high hands, x will probabily be 100%, leaving you very exploitable to a perceptive oppponent in these situations.

What I like to do is, right when a low board hits, I immediatly think:
What is my range here? How likely does my opponent steal? How bad of a flop is this for me?

Then depending on my answer to those questions Ill assign a fraction of my high overcards to a bluff catcher. Against an unknown Ill assume a fairly high steal frequency (near perfect play)

If the board is extremly connected/flush, I may have no bluff catchers with A high. IE 567 two suited, I have AK and get CRed. Im probabily not seeing a showdown.

If my opponent is extremly passive over a high number of hands I may also have little to no bluff catchers , even on this board.

On boards like this, where its marginally connected , two flushed AND the top pair pairs on the turn? Id assign a very high range of bluff catching.

I may call down A9+ here. The less agressive the opponent, the higher ace ill call down with.

It's a semi ad-hoc process determining your bluff catchers, but I find thinking about low flops like this has fixed a leak against LAGs who used to give me a lot of trouble.

To your post: AQ is in my bluff catching range against nearly all opponents here.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like to minimize my exploitability in low board situations when I have overcards.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love to you put more on paper about this subject. I have thought about other situations a lot but not enough on this overcard quandry.

Great stuff.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-08-2007, 07:03 PM

raise the turn
Old 01-08-2007, 07:09 PM

nm. i like the call down too versus such a loose guy who wont fold a pair and who may continue the bleff thru the river.