Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2007, 04:55 AM

Default Re: perfect or horrible?

I count three mistakes so far: flop bet (debatable), flop 3bet (terrible), and river check (bad).

This is a tricky flop in a small pot. Quite often someone has a stronger ace or better and you are in trouble. Many other times you have the best hand versus weak draws that are not getting adequate odds. Once in a while you have the best hand versus a good draw.

When you are in trouble the important thing is to avoid getting raised. It isn't likely that you can actually avoid paying off but you don't want to put in extras. This is best accomplished by passive play.

When your opponents are drawing thin you need them to put money into the small pot. Knocking them out is not nearly as profitable as getting them to bet or call. When you are ahead passive play is often effective in getting bets. If someone has a smaller pair or a good draw they are likely to bet it. If no one has anything there is still a fair chance someone bluffs. Finally if it checks through you can often catch someone stabbing at the turn--a chance you do not get if you bet out and everyone folds their hopeless hands. Summary: if you were certain your weak ace is best, checking might still be the best choice.

Checking is better when you are behind and OK when you are ahead. That's a winning combination.

Anyway the check/bet decision is a valid subject to discuss. In contrast 3-betting is a classic spew. What range do you put him on for his raise? Keep firmly in mind that most random $1/$2 players don't isolate limpers on the slightest excuse. Villain can eaisly have a pretty good ace or even a set for his overlimp.

You have to bet the river and call the raise (because it might be foos and fives). If someone has the four or some wicked slowplay that is just too bad. You'll lose so many bets by checking here it isn't funny.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:09 AM

Guru, not value betting the river is just plain bad IMO. Three betting the flop is spew as well.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:53 AM

I count 2 mistakes. The flop 3-bet and the river check. I would just call the flop and donk the turn (no matter what card fell), especially on this board--I don't want this to get checked through. I b/c the river because I don't want my two pair to get checked behind.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just call the flop raise. Why did you 3 bet?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming it's to charge a flush draw. It can't be because we think we have the best ace.

On the turn we improved against most aces but the flush draw came in.

We didn't improve against a better Aces Over though, but he may freeze up with the flush card and go into call down mode.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have to bet the river and call the raise (because it might be foos and fives). If someone has the four or some wicked slowplay that is just too bad. You'll lose so many bets by checking here it isn't funny.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree.

- I think the chance of better Aces Over or a flush are too big.

- Two guys called down on flush turn after Guru 3bet the flop.

- A4 straight is possible.

- The flush turn that Guru bet after 3betting the flop freezes a lot of better hands.

- Their was no raise preflop, A3, A3, A5 and A6 are in these guys ranges. Their call downs support they may have those hands.

- Two pair is a pretty good hand that you don't want to fold for one more and it's one more if you bet and get raised. This puts you in the position of possibly making a mistake if you fold, but it's usually a mistake if you call. Being unsure of the correct action is the definition of where mistakes become inevitable. You lose no matter what you do.

- If you check, it might come back two and then you can fold.

- If you check, button might bet a weaker hand like A7+ anyway, although I think if he's smart he won't, but he might.

Therefore, Bet/Call in this protected pot is a leak IMO.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:30 PM

I dunno about having to call the river raise, but definitely bet the river.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:55 PM

This is a pretty easy river bet. The only time you want to check is if you thought he was on a flush draw and would bluff the river if you check. Otherwise you have a two pair hand and since villain didn't raise the turn, the flush probably isn't out so all you are fearing is a 4. Button could easily have A7 or somesuch hand.