Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do I do?
Speed up so the other car can't pass me 17 29.82%
Swirve into the other lane so the car doesn't hit me 7 12.28%
Continue at normal pace. If I get hit, thanks for buying me a new car. 33 57.89%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2007, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Stopping Deion Sanders

The blocker would only be able to block one person, especially if these men were trained on proper technique for kickoff coverage. It would require 8 men to make sure he scored less than 50 percent of the time without a blocker, and probably 9 with one.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:16 PM

Default Re: Finally

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its amazing that it took all these posts before someone (you) brought up the key reason why the answer must be pretty big. His strategy starts out running full speed toward the sidleines at about the 25 committing at least three or four, and then running slightly backwards toward the other sideline, dashing upfield when he sees an opening.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why math guys shouldnt be allowed to discuss football. Obviously you have never played the game.

3 is more than enough to force this guy to the sidelines especially with out a blocker. But even with one 4 at the most unless they are in wheel chairs. Of course I assume the defense has a better coach then you.

leaponthis

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why retarded people shouldn't be allowed to discuss anything.
[ QUOTE ]
3 is more than enough to force this guy to the sidelines especially with out a blocker

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding me? Have you stood on a football field? Have you even played 2-hand touch with a player faster than you? Have you tried to tackle a person that actually played even high school football? Because your answer is insane. At least the other people that said 4 hadn't read some replies. They hadn't really tried to think about it. But you roll in with an answer that implies you have read some...then you insult the math guys' knowledge of anything football....and then you give us that answer. Wow.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:15 AM

I agree with those who say 15+ guys.

The blocker alone would crush 6 or 7 of 'em. Imagine a guy like Hines Ward or Jeremy Shocky charging full bore at a bunch of avg couch potatos. They would crumble.

Also, most NFL kicker/punters look foolish trying to make a tackle, and those guys are in shape, with strong legs, and do practice tackling.

Any less than 12 avg. guys would not even get a hand on DS, let alone make the tackle.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:51 AM

I once played a game in school in Germany. A bunch of people held hands, forming a chain. Usually each two adjacent people would actually hold just above each other's wrists, which made the chain stronger. One person ran at the chain and tried to break through it. If you went for some of the weaker folks, you could often break through a pretty long chain.

I think this game has something in common with the Deion Sanders question. Scoring is harder than breaking the chain for sure, but there is a limit to how much harder it is.

I think if you had 10 defenders, DS would just pick a weak spot and run right through it. Even 20 guys he might be able to juke. If you had enough defenders to make a chain across the whole field, he probably wouldn't score but even then sometimes he might.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3 at most, possibly 2. Unless these fellows are idiots or have never played football they are in position to force Deion into one side of the field or the other. One takes out the blocker and the other two force him to the sideline. Then take himdown or force him out of bounds. The reason that these fellows break through in a football game is because of confusion. Too many people on the field. 3, no more.

leaponthis

[/ QUOTE ]I can't believe how wrong some people can be
Old 01-08-2007, 05:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I. The field from sideline to sideline is 33.3 Yards

[/ QUOTE ]

Incorrect. It's 53 yards.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored]... that might help my calculations if I got the dimensions right..

lmao, ohh wait it was a typo
Old 01-08-2007, 06:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe how wrong some people can be

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Sklansky's numbers border on funny.

leaponthis
Old 01-08-2007, 06:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They hadn't really tried to think about it. But you roll in with an answer that implies you have read some...then you insult the math guys' knowledge of anything football....and then you give us that answer. Wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow is right! Amazing, especially since I'm right. A football field - no blockers 3 guys are on the fifty yard line. Deion wouldn't have a chance. And I've tackled many football players. I did it for real not with my imagination, a pencil and some silly math formula. You guys are kidding yourselves.

leaponthis
Old 01-08-2007, 06:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They hadn't really tried to think about it. But you roll in with an answer that implies you have read some...then you insult the math guys' knowledge of anything football....and then you give us that answer. Wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow is right! Amazing, especially since I'm right. A football field - no blockers 3 guys are on the fifty yard line. Deion wouldn't have a chance. And I've tackled many football players. I did it for real not with my imagination, a pencil and some silly math formula. You guys are kidding yourselves.

leaponthis

[/ QUOTE ]

Tackling some 5'8 160lb kid who is failing chemistry is far different than tackling an elite athlete like Deion. I'd imagine 3 guys would have <5% of tackling Deion in the open field.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:06 PM

Athletically speaking, I don't think I am anywhere near where I was a few years ago (college -> beer). However, I still am rather confident that, w/ 1 blocker, I could score 50% of the time against 4 average 30 year olds.

I would imagine the number would be around 9, if well coached. People that say lower don't realize the difference in speed, accelleration and power of an NFL return man.

If you took a field, say 10 yards wide and 30 yards long, and had Deion on one side and 3 men on the other. I think that, without a blocker, Deion could run over/past them about half of the time. Give him more space, you need more men.

It is damn hard to tackle one of the fastest men in America whose job is to take and give a beating every Sunday.