Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2007, 12:09 AM

Default Tipping the floor @ Commerce; proper etiquette

Note: I looked in the faqs, and tried to search for a couple different things, but didn't see anything on tipping the floor w/ written wait lists.

My couple trips to Commerce have generally had me on the waiting list for awhile. I know most regulars tip the floor at some point to get up on the list quickly. I'm mostly talking about the high-limit area (10/20 NL.)

How much do you give them per time? When do you give them the tip? Who's the best person to tip (I'm assuming the person at the chalkboard at that time)?

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Tipping the floor @ Commerce; proper etiquette

bump
Old 01-07-2007, 03:30 PM

it's certainly not necessary to tip them for putting your name on the list. i only tip them when i use them for stuff like getting me a limo or whatever.

some people use them to scout out games and stuff and that's definitely tipworthy, assuming they know what they're talking about.

others tip them for "no reason" to get preferential treatment. if you happen to end up in a situation where the floor is needed for a ruling and it's something that could go either way, you can be sure that he'll rule in favour of a tipper over a non-tipper (this is really rare though, since usually it's fairly clear what the decision should be).

some of them are jerks and won't do you any favours if you don't tip. for example, getting a blowback (a refund of your time if you leave shortly after its paid) might be difficult with some floors if you don't tip.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:38 PM

hmm, i was under the impression you'd tip them and they'd move you up on the waiting list, this is not the case?

thanks for the response
Old 01-07-2007, 03:48 PM

NOt that I've tried, but I figure it's bad for business.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:00 PM

Tipping the floor might get you a table change faster than someone else on the list, but it won't get you a seat in a game any faster. Normally. (I think there are a couple floorpeople at Commerce, not sure which ones, that may sneak you into a game ahead of the list if you grease 'em, but it's not the rule).

I've heard the reason Bellagio is one of the only poker rooms left without a computerized list is so that the floorpeople can be greased and get people into games faster. If they had the names up on a monitor for all to see, it would be tougher to cheat. How annoying. Bellagio is a complete clusterfuck because of the lack of a computerized list.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I've heard the reason Bellagio is one of the only poker rooms left without a computerized list is so that the floorpeople can be greased and get people into games faster. If they had the names up on a monitor for all to see, it would be tougher to cheat. How annoying. Bellagio is a complete clusterfuck because of the lack of a computerized list.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know 2 floormen over there and they both have told me that is, unofficially of course, one of the 2 main reasons. That and upper management doesn't want to keep track of all the players to actually comp out the $1 per hour to everyone. Out of sight, out of mind on the comps is the other main reason.

It obviously isn't for convenience that't for sure.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know 2 floormen over there and they both have told me that is, unofficially of course, one of the 2 main reasons. That and upper management doesn't want to keep track of all the players to actually comp out the $1 per hour to everyone. Out of sight, out of mind on the comps is the other main reason.

It obviously isn't for convenience that't for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

During the series last year I had to tip the floorman pretty regularly to bump a 40 person list for the no limit games...

I used to tip either Dave (old guy working nights) or Jerome (late day shift) 2 redbirds to bump me to the top. It worked everytime and it was well worth the $10 to get into a great game immediately.

The commerce however I'm not sure. Billy, PM Riverboatking, he's a regular at the 20/40NL at the commerce so he can probably give you the best answer. PM LAPoker too while you're at it.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:21 PM

For the reasons mentioned above, it's a good idea to tip the floor 5 or 10 bucks after a decent win. Maybe more after a big win.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bellagio is a complete clusterfuck because of the lack of a computerized list.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.

I heard Doug Dalton or somebody justify this insanity by saying, "We figured if it ain't broke, don't fix it." And I thought, "IT'S BROKE!"