Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2007, 04:59 PM

Default Classless players at the Taj

Last week I was playing 5/10 stud at the taj. During a hand, I made queens up, which I knew to be good. Two other players were in the pot. One of them went all in on fifth or sixth. The other player and I played it out. At showdown, I turned up my queens up and the other players both showed jacks up. The dealer checked the all in players cards and then awarded me the main pot. He then turned my cards over and threw them in the muck, and accidentally pushed the side pot to the player who called the river with his jacks up. I pointed out the dealers mistake. The other player, who happened to be directly on my left started shouting that I mucked my cards and the pot was his. Before he could start stacking the chips, I forcefully reached over, took the chips and began stacking them myself. Of course the floor was called over and everyone else at the table including the dealer said that they observed me turn my quees up over. It was an honest mistake on the dealer's part, and everything turned out fine. To add to the situation, another player, - a known loudmouth at the taj, made the following comment to the player who was trying to steal my pot: There was about 100 dollars in the pot, so since the dealer screwed you out of 100, if I were you I would not tip the dealer on the next 100 wins.

Can you believe the balls on these guys, one of them trying to steal a pot he knows he lost, and the other suggesting he stop tipping dealers to make up for 100 he was "screwed out of". Unreal.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Classless players at the Taj

Standard.

But I don't get this: "He then turned my cards over and threw them in the muck...."

You mean the dealer physically yanked the cards from your hand? Or are you saying that this was a lesson to remind you of Rule #1 of Live Poker: Never surrender the winning hand until the pot is pushed?
Old 01-07-2007, 07:48 PM

Reminds me last weekend when one of the regular 2/5 players started arguing w/ another player about how it was okay to softplay his "friends" since, "we play against each other all the time".

Oh you gotta love the Taj.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You mean the dealer physically yanked the cards from your hand? Or are you saying that this was a lesson to remind you of Rule #1 of Live Poker: Never surrender the winning hand until the pot is pushed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Easier to do in hold em than stud. Dealer also shouldve taken care of side pot first.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

Yep. Welcome to the felt. These are the fine, upstanding idiots you get to deal with.

b
Old 01-07-2007, 09:16 PM

My cards were turned over on the felt face up for all to see. I wasn't holding them in my hand, I simply turned them over and put them down on the table. Should I have protected my hand better? I was shocked at the other player trying to steal the pot since the hands were all turned up and it was clear that I won.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Standard.

But I don't get this: "He then turned my cards over and threw them in the muck...."

[/ QUOTE ]

In stud protecting your down cards is enough. Your up cards are considered "protected" in stud meaning if the dealer takes your board cards you receive the same consideration as if the dealer had pulled them out of your hand or moved your 100 pound paper wieght to get them.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:48 PM

Oops, sorry that I missed it was stud.... but I had always assumed it was as Randy said, that the hole cards are essentially your hand for "protect your hand" purposes.