Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 10:39 AM

Default Re: Norm MacDonald

Dennis Miller was the best news guy. Norm is funnier than hell in everything I've seen.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No, I'm sorry, but Norm was not the best Weekend Update anchor ever. Dennis Miller was born for the part and performed it with an edge and longevity that make it a no-contest argument. I love Norm. Norm is great. Norm is god. Miller is the all-time Update anchor though.

I will say Norm did the best David Letterman impersonation I'v ever seen.

Gary

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't care for Miller in any venue ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never liked him at all.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:35 AM

Norm's stand up is incredible. I bought this set of 80's stand up show dvd's like evening at the improv etc. And he is on there and essentially does a 10 minute bit about "back seat middle" that makes me cry it is so good. I don't remember much of it unfortunately..

"I was reading the paper the other day and this guy killed his whole family because the devil told him to. Thats pretty stupid isn't it, the devil told him to? Imagine how that scene went down, guy walks up to the devil and is like "oh dark prince, i have done as you have commanded, i killed my whole family, slaughtered them as they slept no less, then i chopped them up, in fact i have them right here in a duffel bag my master, oh ruler of the netherworld".... right about then the devil takes his mask off and is like "HEY ITS ME! BOB!". then the guy is all like "oh bob.. you got me bob.. got my family in a duffel bag here..."

He also had some bit about dogs that was classic
"Went to the pet store to get a dog, guy wanted to sell me a 600 dollar dog. A dog. A 600 dollar dog. That's not really what i was looking for, i was like, you got any discount dogs around here? Maybe a giant bin of dogs i can root around in? The guy was like , "no no, this dog is an investment, you buy him, and he protects your valuables." But i started thinking, if i buy this dog, that would be the most valuable thing i own, the dog. Now i gotta get something to protect the dog. Next thing you know i'm out shopping for wolverines, saying things like "show me what you have in a tiger my good man".
Old 12-07-2005, 11:36 AM

Now thats funny.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Norm's stand up is incredible. I bought this set of 80's stand up show dvd's like evening at the improv etc. And he is on there and essentially does a 10 minute bit about "back seat middle" that makes me cry it is so good. I don't remember much of it unfortunately..

"I was reading the paper the other day and this guy killed his whole family because the devil told him to. Thats pretty stupid isn't it, the devil told him to? Imagine how that scene went down, guy walks up to the devil and is like "oh dark prince, i have done as you have commanded, i killed my whole family, slaughtered them as they slept no less, then i chopped them up, in fact i have them right here in a duffel bag my master, oh ruler of the netherworld".... right about then the devil takes his mask off and is like "HEY ITS ME! BOB!". then the guy is all like "oh bob.. you got me bob.. got my family in a duffel bag here..."

He also had some bit about dogs that was classic
"Went to the pet store to get a dog, guy wanted to sell me a 600 dollar dog. A dog. A 600 dollar dog. That's not really what i was looking for, i was like, you got any discount dogs around here? Maybe a giant bin of dogs i can root around in? The guy was like , "no no, this dog is an investment, you buy him, and he protects your valuables." But i started thinking, if i buy this dog, that would be the most valuable thing i own, the dog. Now i gotta get something to protect the dog. Next thing you know i'm out shopping for wolverines, saying things like "show me what you have in a tiger my good man".

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, those are two classic Norm bits. So glad to see them. I had forgotten the details of the dog one. He did the devil one when I saw him last year.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:33 PM

A 2+2 poster is his best friend. Norm's a funny guy and a good poker player.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:34 PM

It always seemed to me that Norm got a bad rap on Update - his jokes weren't bad, but often he played to complete silence from the studio audience. It's tough to watch sometimes.

His stand-up is definitely good stuff.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:43 PM

norm was orders of magnitude funnier than dennis miller, and is clearly the best weekend update guy ever

i saw him do standup too, amazing (and this will get lost in translation)

"i saw this sign the other day. you know, people say, 'aids does not discriminate.' so i see this sign and it says that, and i'm like...well...at least it doesn't discriminate."
Old 12-07-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A 2+2 poster is his best friend. Norm's a funny guy and a good poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

who?
Old 12-07-2005, 12:49 PM

Another bit that will get lost in translation that had my crying. This came in the middle of a show where the whole show was morbid and about death, suicide, etc.

"So, uh, everyone talks about "battling cancer". Have you ever seen this battle? It's, ah, well, its not very exciting. It looks kind of like, well, sort of like this (stands prone and stiff, mimicking vertically laying in bed.) Plus, after the battle people always talk about how they beat cancer. They beat cancer! Isn't that awesome. You feel so happy that they won the battle. But how come when they die, no one give cancer its due? No one ever walks into the wake and says "well, cancer sure kicked his ass."