Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2007, 10:35 AM

Default Re: HOLY COW

I gotta respect the dude's "f my cards, im going w/ my read attitude" but given the action, I just don't see how u can think you're FH is no good. I was @ the foxwoods 10k about a year and a bit ago, and in level one the following hand took place against an old man (like 70 or something). I make it 150 preflop 3rd or 4th to act, w/ 45 ss, only he calls out of the bb. (Starting stacks of 20k, blinds 25-50) The flop comes out aj10 w/ 2 spades, and he checkraises my 250 bet to 750, I flat call, and it goes check check on a blank 6 turn. The riv comes w/ a low spade and he pushes with his full starting stack, and flips over kq for the flopped straight and an early exit. I think people give old dudes to much credit sometimes for being super-nits, when alot of times, they are just not that brilliant. (They've been playing for like 60 years, and what have they shown? Obv, I'm not talking about Doyle...) Anyways, I've never won anything big, so I can't say it's a bad fold, bec. clearly Steve plays extemely well, but it's awful difficult to understand.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I gotta respect the dude's "f my cards, im going w/ my read attitude" but given the action, I just don't see how u can think you're FH is no good. I was @ the foxwoods 10k about a year and a bit ago, and in level one the following hand took place against an old man (like 70 or something). I make it 150 preflop 3rd or 4th to act, w/ 45 ss, only he calls out of the bb. (Starting stacks of 20k, blinds 25-50) The flop comes out aj10 w/ 2 spades, and he checkraises my 250 bet to 750, I flat call, and it goes check check on a blank 6 turn. The riv comes w/ a low spade and he pushes with his full starting stack, and flips over kq for the flopped straight and an early exit. I think people give old dudes to much credit sometimes for being super-nits, when alot of times, they are just not that brilliant. (They've been playing for like 60 years, and what have they shown? Obv, I'm not talking about Doyle...) Anyways, I've never won anything big, so I can't say it's a bad fold, bec. clearly Steve plays extemely well, but it's awful difficult to understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not convinced about Steve's fold, but I'm pretty sure I like it more than this call. He bet 19K at a 2K pot, and you called with the 8th nuts or whatever?
Old 01-07-2007, 10:54 AM

I wasn't being entirely honest, I had reason to believe that the old man in my case was crazy, (seemed drunk), but still from a couple (granted its not tons) of experience, I find the many of these older people aren't as tight as people give them credit for, yes my call was far from standard in that situation.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't being entirely honest, I had reason to believe that the old man in my case was crazy, (seemed drunk), but still from a couple (granted its not tons) of experience, I find the many of these older people aren't as tight as people give them credit for, yes my call was far from standard in that situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely agree with that. In my very limited experience, the players I'd classify as "old nits" tend to be super tight pre-flop and pretty poor at post-flop play. They wait around for big pairs and such pre-flop, but are incapable of folding them afther the flop.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:11 AM

Don't really know why i threw in that story (guess i got some esteem issues...) but really just a crazy hand, and felt like commenting
Old 01-07-2007, 05:51 PM

Steve is now pretty big CL in day 2.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:18 PM

mikey,

just so it's not taken the wrong way i was laughing at the shirt not you
Old 01-07-2007, 08:25 PM

Wow, there is an awful lot of "old guy" stereotyping in this thread. Just because the guy is over 50 doesnt mean hes a nit, just like not all 22 y.o. with backward baseball caps are aggressive bad ass players. It sounds like this kind of thinking may in fact may have played a significant part of a questionable laydown here.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, there is an awful lot of "old guy" stereotyping in this thread. Just because the guy is over 50 doesnt mean hes a nit, just like not all 22 y.o. with backward baseball caps are aggressive bad ass players. It sounds like this kind of thinking may in fact may have played a significant part of a questionable laydown here.

[/ QUOTE ]

shut up old man
Old 01-07-2007, 08:32 PM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
Steve is now pretty big CL in day 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess it was a good fold after all! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]