Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2007, 03:30 AM

Default A little help on the flop

The small blind is Tight - Aggressive (17/5/2.78) for 134 hands.

Poker Stars
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.50/$1
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, 2 folds, SB calls, Hero checks.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4SB, 4 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>,

Hero?
Old 01-07-2007, 03:53 AM

Location: Hastings 3L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Default Re: A little help on the flop

Folds. You are in a terrible position here.

SB could be betting out with a draw but he also could have a K and thus likely have you beat since its unlikely he has a smaller kicker. He could be betting a flush draw but since you will be first to act relatively its not worth trying to find out. A raise could come from behind you with someone with a legit K and you'll be sunk. The pot is very small at this point so its not worth battling for with TPNK. If the pot was larger it might be worth fighting for, but not here.

The only solution if you wanted to stay would be to raise. This would hopefully drive out the players behind you leaving you heads up with the person you hope you have beaten. But, again, I would just fold.

btw, where do you surf? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2007, 04:02 AM

The stats don't really help here, but I hear you.

The king is just simply not good here with the weak kicker. More times than not you are getting outdrawn or outkicked here. We sigh, curse our position, and then fold.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:31 AM

I think raising and calling are close but I'm leaning towards raising.

If the K's were aces instead I'd be more inclinded to call.

If villian was passive I'd definately fold.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:01 AM

One thing to learn is that you aren't going to win every pot and also that every pot doesn't belong to you, which is closely related. Small pots and mediocre hands don't mix, learn to dump these. Why? Worst case is you spend about half the final pot size and SB turns over K7c and out kicks you. Wait for a better spot.

If you were going to play this I would raise to try and get rid of single clubs. If you get 3-bet and had ever seen him do this with a flush draw call down. But really, there are just too many cards to dodge with this hand. Let it go.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:09 PM

I want to say call, but the FD makes it more likely that this will get raised behind you.

If you raise you're open to a 3-bet which will suck, that said if villain has a weak kicker or no K he may slow down. A raise also gives you the chance to knock out the players behind you or to see whether they cold call/raise.

All that said the comments about this being a small pot are very true. If you raise and get HU the pot will remain small, even though you're putting in (comparatively) a lot of bets, there's also the possibility of another A falling, I think this is a fold.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:46 PM

Thanks for all the replies, I thought this was a raise or fold situation (in retrospect), but at the time I just called and imediatly knew that was wrong.

I don't surf [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I make waves [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2007, 12:48 PM

I'm usually raising this, but wouldn't mind folding this one. Your read on SB is key here.
(1) SB is relatively nitty. If he has a pair here, he's got you beat in the kicker. It looks pretty likely he has Kx, with x&gt;4.
(2) Pot is small.

I'd never call this, for me fold &gt; raise &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; call.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:35 PM

I'm folding this in an instant. Others may be able to dodge the bullets and squeeze some value. But I've got my fingers burnt too many times. Your hand is looking to make a flush, not top pair. Unless this is the last hand of poker to be played on the planet, a much better spot will be along very soon.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:40 PM

Location: Hastings 3L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If this pot were bigger and SB is known to donk any pair I think raising is best.

But given the pot size and that statline is it really worth battling it out with a taggish player and two other people to act behind you?