Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2007, 12:03 AM

Default Re: Count-Down to SN Elite Chase!!

I'm at 18k VPP's and haven't even played today whereas I was planning to knock down a few thousand. Just didn't get around to it.

For those comparing online-poker to other jobs:
It's not like online-poker is THAT hard, but it does take concentration.
And remember that 8 hours at a 'regular' job is not the same as 8 hours of online-poker.

When I sit-out at my tables to make some coffee or talk on the phone or whatever those are 5 or more minutes that I'm NOT working.

Most regular jobs it's not like you have to clock-out for exactly the 2 minutes and 23 seconds you went to the bathroom or whatever.

And when you come back to the online-tables it takes a little while before the blind comes back around to you and you get started up again.

If you NEVER sit-out at all and play every single hand for 8 hours then it's comparable.
But the little breaks DO add up.
And for me I think I get in 3.5 hours or less of work in a 4-hour 'session' from various coffee or telephone or throw-something-in-the-microave breaks that I take.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:05 AM

microbob,

do you think you can make elite?
Old 01-07-2007, 12:26 AM

I give myself about a 10% chance of making elite.
When it first came out I thought I was less than 5% but then I looked at it some more and determined it's not as completely impossible as I initially thought.

Problem is that I'm playing crappily and losing. and I'm not sure the motivation is there either.

My quick 1k hand shot at 10/20 resulted in -$3500 which wasn't fun.

15k+ hands on 3/6 and 5/10 I'm +$600 though. Woo-hoo!!!

I do think I'm playing less crappily and getting it turned-around but these things are so hard to tell sometimes and I'm really freaking inconsistent (making nice folds, then calling-down with the worst possible hand imaginable because I just didn't think it through...partly from playing too many tables).

If I'm too tired or sucking too much I'll just give it up at some point. I refuse to BUSTO myself chasing this silly Elite thing.

These first few days are the key.
For 2 weeks in Jan and Feb I'm out of the country and will get in ZERO internet-poker hands I'm guessing.
So I think I need to get to at least 80k, and probably closer to 100k, VPP's by Jan 21 to still be in the running.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:41 AM

Bob what are you playing, 3/6 - 5/10 limit? How many tables?
Old 01-07-2007, 02:24 AM

This program encourages compulsive gambling.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This program encourages compulsive gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong...compulsive gamblers wouldn't have the money to last enough hands
Old 01-07-2007, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Problem is that I'm playing crappily and losing. and I'm not sure the motivation is there either.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I think I'm going to lessen the tables, and be on the look out for 'crazy SNe' playing push/fold poker at the NL tables (basically loosen up a bit). Previously I had a good push fold game going, but I think multitablers are increasing and I'm seeing fewer than 4 ppl to a flop at NL$100 often (9+ multitabling NL requires push fold just about). Is limit having the same problems or do you think it is easier, at $3/$6?

[ QUOTE ]
My quick 1k hand shot at 10/20 resulted in -$3500 which wasn't fun.

[/ QUOTE ]
Damn bob, that sucks...how many tables? I would not say that is 'variance', it is probably game adjustment. I had a fair game at the NL$200 to NL$400, but got nervous, especially multitabling those limits, moved to NL$100 and it didn't work (cause of the looseness and extremely wide range of hands calling 3 to 5xbb). Thus, I played pairs more often and made 5xbb my min raise on strong hands, and picked up some wins. Keep moving up in limits and keep us posted! And most wageously, keep winning [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2007, 08:48 AM

You have a point that 8 hours of poker isn't exactly 8 hours in real life.

To be as efficient as I can, I keep every session to 3-4 hours.

So, that's 3-4 hours without any kind of break, not even to run to the bathroom, or to eat (except maybe an apple or a banana or something)

A typical workday for me looks like this: get up, [censored], eat, 4 hours of poker, bathroom, eat, 3 hours of poker, work out (jogging/running or lifting weights or something), shower, eat, and then (if needed) another 3-4 hour session.

You need to be very effective like this to put in a lot of hours, otherwise those 44-hour weeks suddenly turns into 66 hour-weeks, and it gets even more draining...

I still haven't landed on a final schedule for my 44-hour weeks, but I think it's pretty likely that I'm doing 4 11-hour days (with the program I described above) and then I have 3 days off per week off for less antisocial behaviour [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

In theory, that doesn't sound all that bad, does it?

- 4 days of pretty hard (psychologically and emotionally) and draining, antisocial work
- 3 days off (weekends) do to whatever I want

And I even get to take 6-7 weeks off spread throughout the year.

Sounds like an attractive deal to me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2007, 10:02 AM

Is it me, or does it seem that every mid-stakes grinder who has decided to take a shot at making elite is running bad? I've had a massive cooler so far this year incl flopped quads losing to a rivered straight flush and flopped top house losing to another rivered straight flush.

Maybe Stars decided elite status was truely going to be elite and any mid-stakes grinders who tried to get there were going to get the doom switch flicked to ensure they don't make it!!
Old 01-07-2007, 10:05 AM

Location: always C/Ring with 3 outs and usually getting there

[ QUOTE ]
Is it me, or does it seem that every mid-stakes grinder who has decided to take a shot at making elite is running bad? I've had a massive cooler so far this year incl flopped quads losing to a rivered straight flush and flopped top house losing to another rivered straight flush.

Maybe Stars decided elite status was truely going to be elite and any mid-stakes grinders who tried to get there were going to get the doom switch flicked to ensure they don't make it!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe overextending yourself with too many hands/day influences your concentration and decisions?