Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2007, 04:37 PM

Default Re: \"Official\" Live at the Bike thread (week of 1/3) (TBA)

Bart,

Hand: Mo has QJ, Alan has T9, board QJxx. You say Mo should bet allin instead of 400 if Alan has 700 left. Say pot was 400 before the bet. Alan is a 4-1 dog. If Alan calls he is getting 2-1 immediate and with implied odds he is getting 2.75-1. Even if Mo puts in the last 300 blind on the river and Alan only calls if he makes a straight Mo is making money. If Mo bets 700 and Alan folds, Mo does not make money. Obviously, if you know Alan is gonna call 700, then that is the proper play. But I think there are a lot of cases where Alan will call an amount than even with an implied odds is too much, but will not call an all-in.

This came up last week for me at Winstar. The pot was 500 and I had 500 left with AA on a JT2T board with 2 clubs. I moved in, thinking that if he had a flush draw, I didn't wanna bet 300 and be forced to put in the last 200 no matter what. But if he has a dry flush draw, he's making a mistake to call a 300 turn bet. It turned out that he had AJ and folded it, which is a terrible result for me, cuz I'm almost positive that he calls 300 on the turn and the rest on any river.

I didn't see the pot size before the turn bet in the Mo vs Alan hand, so it might be that 400 is not enough. But you always dismiss a bet that is not all-in in this situation, even though there are many cases where it will be incorrectly called but an all-in will not.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:11 PM

Default Re: \"Official\" Live at the Bike thread (week of 1/3) (TBA)

I think I also pointed out that with Alan's range he may have called the flop with a weak holding like middle pair and would fold to a big bet on the river. The point I make on the show is that betting smaller than an all in on the turn against a draw is sometimes incorrect if with implied odds your opponent gets the right price to draw.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:25 PM

Default Re: \"Official\" Live at the Bike thread (week of 1/3) (10-20NL 1/5)

Although tonight's game will be 10-20NL we expect to see super deep stacks in the game. We may play 10 handed and we might see upwards of $100,000 on the table.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Although tonight's game will be 10-20NL we expect to see super deep stacks in the game. We may play 10 handed and we might see upwards of $100,000 on the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Make it 20-40! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

(Sincerely, Tony - the 20-40 cheerleader)

- T
Old 01-05-2007, 11:29 PM

I know what opinions are worth but we are all entitled to ours and you are entitled to agree or not agree.
When I first subscribed to LATB I was hooked on both Bart and Dave's commentary through out the game. I truly believe that Bart has a more fundamental grasp of the game between Dave and Boston. And Boston might be as good or better of a poker player as Dave I believe that Dave was a much better BS-er at convincing all of us that he new alot more than he did. I have nothing against Boston personally for some reason I just can't get into his commentary as much as I could with Dave. I haven't watched LATB nearly as much as I did and have seriously contemplated canceling my subscription.. Now I'm not saying that thinking that my "threat" is going to bring Dave back I'm just stating how I feel. I also feel that sometimes Bart sounds a bit dejected during his commentary and that he is carrying Boston through the show. And I think he does.
Boston please don't think this is a personal attack, I and maybe it's just me: I can't get into your commentary as much as others. I'm sorry for that truly.
I'm probaby going to get crap for this post but I haven't posted in a while and haven't watched the show in a while either so just wanted to post how I'm feeling and what I'm thinking.
Sorry if I offend anyone or bore anyone to badly.

KR
Old 01-05-2007, 11:48 PM

It got lost because of the postflop action, but in an aggressive preflop game or against a particular player who raises light preflop (Mike, Kirk, Mo), squeezing against a raiser and a few calls from the blinds is a very powerful play if stacks aren't deep enough that your opponents can call you for set value, with suited connectors etc. If Mouris doesn't always have KK there, it's a lot harder for his opponents to call with QTs and even JJ. It also works in the opposite way, if you reraise out of the blinds with trash sometimes, your opponents may decide to 4bet you with hands they normally wouldn't (TT, JJ, AK), and that really helps you out when you do have a monster.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:00 AM

Wow Bostin... just wow..
Old 01-06-2007, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow Bostin... just wow..

[/ QUOTE ]

That was in response to the grab his nipples, nuts etc. thing. Then I read this post:

[ QUOTE ]
I know what opinions are worth but we are all entitled to ours and you are entitled to agree or not agree.
When I first subscribed to LATB I was hooked on both Bart and Dave's commentary through out the game. I truly believe that Bart has a more fundamental grasp of the game between Dave and Boston. And Boston might be as good or better of a poker player as Dave I believe that Dave was a much better BS-er at convincing all of us that he new alot more than he did. I have nothing against Boston personally for some reason I just can't get into his commentary as much as I could with Dave. I haven't watched LATB nearly as much as I did and have seriously contemplated canceling my subscription.. Now I'm not saying that thinking that my "threat" is going to bring Dave back I'm just stating how I feel. I also feel that sometimes Bart sounds a bit dejected during his commentary and that he is carrying Boston through the show. And I think he does.
Boston please don't think this is a personal attack, I and maybe it's just me: I can't get into your commentary as much as others. I'm sorry for that truly.
I'm probaby going to get crap for this post but I haven't posted in a while and haven't watched the show in a while either so just wanted to post how I'm feeling and what I'm thinking.

KR

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this. I think you need to give this guy a chance. Go back to some of the first archives and listen to how bad Bart and Dave were and how they progressed. IMO Bostin just needs a little time and he will be fine. He is supposed to provide the color.. and he definately has color. If he could just not grab his nuts like that I think progress would come even faster. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Personally I like the guy and hope he stays. Nash
Old 01-06-2007, 12:31 AM

Default Re: \"Official\" Live at the Bike thread (week of 1/3) (Thur 5--10 NL)

ROFL
Old 01-06-2007, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wow Bostin... just wow..

[/ QUOTE ]

That was in response to the grab his nipples, nuts etc. thing. Then I read this post:

[ QUOTE ]

KR

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this. I think you need to give this guy a chance. Go back to some of the first archives and listen to how bad Bart and Dave were and how they progressed. IMO Bostin just needs a little time and he will be fine. He is supposed to provide the color.. and he definately has color. If he could just not grab his nuts like that I think progress would come even faster. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Personally I like the guy and hope he stays. Nash

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree, I think Bostin adds a fun element to the broadcast and think his commentary is already improving. I think he is doing fine and will develop into a very good commentator.