Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2007, 10:39 AM

Default Deepstack 100nl AA

Hey all, I am seriously having problems with this hand. I guess I either donked it out really good, or made a very nice laydown.

Villain is a supertight player. We had been playing at the same table for 45 minutes or so and I had noticed how he always had very strong hands when he was in big pots. His stats were 12/2 or something like that.

So basically him calling my reraise preflop definetely cut down his range to only premium hands. I cursed out aloud when I saw the K on the flop, and thought KK for sure when he coldcalled my flop bet.

I don't have that much experience with deepstack poker, so I'm thinking maybe my preflop reraise was too low? Any input at all would be appreciated.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($42.10)
Hero ($220.70)
CO ($104.65)
Button ($26)
SB ($183.45)
BB ($86.95)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $14</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $35</font>, SB calls $21.

Flop: ($72) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $55</font>, SB calls $55.

Turn: ($182) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($182) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $93.45 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $275.45
Old 01-05-2007, 10:44 AM

Default Re: Deepstack 100nl AA

If he is as supertight as you say, you might be right here, but I think you will see AK some % of the time. I probably get stacked here though.

Btw, do I know you from pokergoo?? tuut ;-)
Old 01-05-2007, 10:47 AM

If you're so worried about KK just check the flop. After your flop bet I think you have to push the turn.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:48 AM

I would definitely raise more preflop, especially since you are this deepstacked.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:54 AM

I dislike your preflop 4-bet with stacks this deep, especially against such a tight player. I'd rather call his 3-bet and play it hard on a safe flop or slower on a scary flop. As played, I'd check behind the flop always. If you have a decent image and he's somewhat solid (I'm unsure as to how solid a .5/1 player is) then he'll dump AK to your PF4B. The majority of the hands which will give you action to your $55 bet are crushing you, IMO. This is WA/WB and I believe going for pot control is best.

I fold that river very easily. If he would've lead for $55 on the turn, I'd have called and folded to his shove on the river.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he is as supertight as you say, you might be right here, but I think you will see AK some % of the time. I probably get stacked here though.

Btw, do I know you from pokergoo?? tuut ;-)

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe yes, hallaisen83 from pokergoo...forgot my 2+2 login, so I borrowed haugsrud's [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2007, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're so worried about KK just check the flop. After your flop bet I think you have to push the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how checking the flop helps me. I'd still have basically the same situation on the turn. I figured that if I bet and get callled on the flop I will be beat, and I'll have to fold on a later street. If he has KK his whole stack is gonna go into the pot at some point, no matter how I try to control the flop. What if I check the flop and he bets a PSB on the turn?
Old 01-05-2007, 11:04 AM

Checking the flop keeps in Queens, which aren't potting the turn. The pot is also smaller which usually makes for easier decisions. I'd call his turn lead if you checked the flop, though.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dislike your preflop 4-bet with stacks this deep, especially against such a tight player. I'd rather call his 3-bet and play it hard on a safe flop or slower on a scary flop. As played, I'd check behind the flop always. If you have a decent image and he's somewhat solid (I'm unsure as to how solid a .5/1 player is) then he'll dump AK to your PF4B. The majority of the hands which will give you action to your $55 bet are crushing you, IMO. This is WA/WB and I believe going for pot control is best.

I fold that river very easily. If he would've lead for $55 on the turn, I'd have called and folded to his shove on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the input. That's one option that didn't even strike me. Due to his extreme tightness I knew he had a stong hand, so I was immediately thinking about how to build the pot so that he'd get all his money into the pot. I figured I had to make the flop pot as big as possible to get it all in there. I do feel that I should've bet harder preflop.

I may be wrong, but I don't think it's right to play it weak and coldcall his reraise simply because we're deep. I'd really like to hear some more opinions about that, since I didn't even come close to consider doing that.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I may be wrong, but I don't think it's right to play it weak and coldcall his reraise simply because we're deep. I'd really like to hear some more opinions about that, since I didn't even come close to consider doing that.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's as tight as you say he is, he's folding AK and QQ to your 4-bet, and you're also giving away your hand.